Chapter 22

We just sit and watch more Spongebob Squarepants for a while, but I can tell something is off about Goldie. He seems... nervous? I don't know why he would be nervous. He's not usually like this around me. I can't help but glance at him from time to time, but sometimes I'll catch him looking back at me.

"Is something wrong? Are you okay?" I ask him.

He flinches at the question, but turns to me and forces a smile. "Yep! Everything's okay on my end! Are you okay?" He asks awkwardly.

"Y-yeah..." I mutter suspiciously. I turn my eyes back to the T.V., and he gives me a disappointed look.

I pretend the watch the show, but instead I watch him out of the corner of my eye. He glances down at his hands, then he looks at mine, his shoulders tense with nervousness. Is he wanting to hold my hand? I fight the urge to chuckle at his cuteness as I set my hand down on the ground between us to make it easier to hold.

He turns his attention back to the T.V., and for a while I think that he's changed his mind and isn't going to hold my hand, then I feel his fingers graze over mine. His touch makes my heart flutter like a hundred butterflies are trapped in my stomach. I can't help the goofy grin that makes its way onto my face, nor the blush that creeps onto my cheeks. I would think that after doing so much with Freddy, something as simple as this wouldn't get me so flustered and excited, but it does.

I slowly turn my hand over, and he flinches at the movement, but when I intertwine my fingers with his, he relaxes again. I sneak a quick glance at him and see him smiling like an idiot, but an adorable idiot. I grin.

"You're..." he starts, "you're really pretty, (y/n)."

My face flushes red.

"I-I—" I start, but he interrupts me. We end up rambling and trying to talk over each other.

"Oh, I-I'm sorry! That was so out of the blue, I—!"

"No no no! It was cute! You're fine!"

"I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to say that out loud! That was so weird— oh god I'm sorry—"

His apologies turn into mumbles as he covers his face with his hand. I watch him, waiting for him to say something, but instead he pulls his knees up and hides his face in them, embarrassed. I let out something between a giggle and a sigh, then poke his shoulder to get him to look back up at me. When he doesn't move, I squeeze his hand instead. Again, he doesn't respond.

"Goldie?" I ask. He looks up at this, but not at me. He just lifts his head with his eyes squeezed shut.

"Sorry, I'm just... really bad at this," he says, finally opening his eyes. He stares at the ground in front of him as his cheeks burn red.

"It's okay, you're perfectly fine. I'm not good at this sort of stuff either," I laugh, earning a smile from him.

"Okay," he sighs to himself. Suddenly, he lets go of my hand and wraps his arm around me instead, pulling me closer to him. My eyes widen in surprise and more blush creeps onto my cheeks, but I like it. I smile, leaning into him.

"Thanks, Goldie," I start. "You've helped turn this night into a good one."

I hear footsteps outside the door, and we both quickly pull away from each other, scared for another incident like what happened with Bonnie, Freddy and us.

The footsteps stop, and I look up to see...

...Bonnie.

He takes in the sight of us sitting together, both blushing and tense, then he glares at us, me specifically.