◇0.1◇

Avery

August 8, 2002

"Come on baby wake up" my mom cooed as I opened my tired eyes. I stretched a little in my carseat and rubbed my eyes. "Mama I don't want to go" I whined taking in the school setting.

"I know baby, but if you want to grow up and take care of yourself you have to" she said trying to convince me. "I want you to take care of me mommy" I said sticking my lip out. She sighed and got out of the car.

"As soon as the day is over we can go get icecream" she said as she opened my door. She unfastened my seatbelt and picked me up.

I wrapped my legs around her stomach and laid my head on her shoulder. "I guess we can get icecream" I said. She was going to talk, but I cut her off. "Only if daddy goes" I said. Her smile became a frown.

"Baby he can't go" she said reaching up to wipe a tear from her eye. I don't understand why though. He's just dead so he'll be back, I know this for a fact.

She passed me her phone as she reached over my carseat to grab my small bookbag. "Mommy check to see if my blankie is in there" I said. She laughed and unzipped the bookbag. "Look baby it's there" she said and I looked into the bookbag.

"Ok well I guess we can go to school now" I said and she smiled. She walked me all the way into the school and took me to the classroom.

We reached a fairly large classroom and a petite white lady walked up to us. "Hey, I'm Mrs.Williams and I'll be your teacher this year" she said looking at me. Mom put me down and handed me my bookbag. I looked around the room and seen the kids staring at me. All but one.

I walked back over to my mom and hugged her leg. She bent down and kissed my forehead. "See you later baby" she said getting back up. She walked out of the class and I ran behind her. "No don't go" I said on the verge of crying.

"Baby I'll see you later, if you must have me come back and get you early ask if you can call." She said then kissed me again then left. I walked back to class and Mrs.Williams took my bag and put it in my cubby.

I took a seat in a tiny chair at a lonely table in the corner. The teacher was talking, but I was too focused on going back home to listen. "Hey sweetie what's your name" she said looking at me.

"Avery" I said loud enough for her not to ask again. "Such a beautiful name" she said then told us all to come to the carpet. We all sat on the carpet facing her. She sat in a tall chair. "Ok guys welcome to Pre-K" she said smiling. "We're going to go around and tell everyone something about yourself" she said.

The kids said 'yay' while one stayed silent with a small smile on his face. Interesting. "My name is Kaylee and I have a dog" a girl said smiling. "My name is Avery and my dad is dead, but don't worry he's coming back" I said smiling. "She's so stupid" a girl said trying whispering to Kaylee. I frowned.

"My name is Jahseh" a boy said and everyone stopped talking to look at him. His voice sounded nice. It was soothing like when I talk to my mom. I smiled at him and he blushed then looked down.

"Ok guys I hope yall got to know each other and Maria I called your mom about that comment you made towards Avery." Mrs.Williams said. We walked back to our tables and Mrs.Williams noticed I was sitting alone.

"Sweetie why don't you go sit with Jahseh" she said and I got up. I walked over to his table and sat down. We stared at each other. "We are going to have a snack really quick ok" Mrs.Williams said. She went to all the tables and placed cookies and apple juice down. Then she walked out of class to go to the office.

I gave my cookies to Jahseh and drank my juice since I was still full from this morning's breakfast. He thanked me and I smiled. "You're really pwetty" he said. "Thank you" I said and smiled.

Maria walked over to our table and put gum in my hair. She then pushed me out of the chair and I hit my head on the floor. "Oww" I said crying. She walked away and Mrs.Williams walked back into the room.

She ran over to me and asked me was I ok. I nodded my head and wiped my tears as Maria and Kaylee laughed at me. I got off the floor and sat down in my chair again still sniffling. I seen Jahseh walk over to the arts and crafts station. He came back with scissors and cut the piece of hair out of my head that was stuck to the gum.

I smiled at him and he smiled at me back. He got in trouble for cutting my hair because the teacher didn't know why he did it. He frowned, but went over to Maria and asked for two peices of gum.

I watched as he chewed the two pieces individually and put them into Maria and Kaylee's hair. He walked back over to me and hugged me. It was soon nap time and he moved his cot over towards mine.

He held my hand and we fell asleep. Once nap time was over me and Jahseh became friends. He asked me of course, then it was time to go home. My mom took me to get icecream and I never stopped thinking about what Jahseh did for me.

----------

To be continued

Vote and comment

See you guys later.