Loss and Love in the very End

Snap

It felt like Kira had woken up from a dream. She felt odd.

"Kira...", Calypso sobbed.
Kira turned around. There, on the stones sat Calypso. In her arms she was holding Nymphadora's gigantic body.

"No," Kira breathed and swam to them.

Calypso looked at her and said, "It's over, Kira. Isn't that what you wanted? She broke the curse in the last second."

"No... But... mum."
She felt incredibly miserable. Her hands found their way up to the cut in her throat. The blood was warm and fresh and the touch of her fingers stung.

Pain.

Not physical pain, but mental pain.

"Love is pain," she whispered, "I'm a murderer."

"No," Calypso cut in, "Nymphadora gave her life away for you, but she did it volunteerly."
Kira exhaled sharply. Her hand slid over her mother's face, stroking her lovingly.

"I'm sorry," Jack's voice was softer than it had ever been as he stated, "It's me fault."

"What?", Kira turned around to face him.

"I mean, if it wasn't for me... ya know?"

Kira opened her mouth, but before she could say anything, she felt a weird warmth inside of her, growing and evolving into an uncomfortable heat. She felt how the wound on her throat stopped hurting as the heath grew.

"What's happening?", Elizabeth yelled.
"I don't know," Calypso answered as they watched how Kira's veins visibly glowed up underneath her skin and she got pulled up to the surface.
She broke out of the water and flew up high, floating in the air above the sea.

They swam up to see what was happening.

Jack saw her when she explode into white light.
Just like that, from one second to the next, she was gone.

Pain.

"How?", he thought, "and why?"
Yes, why?
Why couldn't he protect her?
Why did the simple idea of losing her hurt?
Why was she so different and wild and unpredictable?
And why was his heart racing so fast whenever he looked at her?

He saw her vanish - saw her going up in smoke and light like a ghost.

"Did anyone else see that, too?", he asked aloud.

"She... vanished," Elizabeth said.
"What happened?", he asked.

"I... don't know," Calypso replied.
But it was a lie.
It was a lie.
A lie.
A lie to spare him the pain that Nymphadora had always wanted to spare her children.
One lie for one life.
A lie for a sad heart.

***

You've got responsibilities now. She never prepared you, I know. It's a pity.
But she prepared me.

W-what? Where am I?

Nowhere. Yet, everywhere. No one knows.