chapter 24: that awkward match

Post break-up, the one thing Trevor was concerned about the most was what happened between he and Adam interfering with his job. They wrestle each other endlessly and Trevor could probably book a match with the man in his sleep. So, of course, them being broken up shouldn't have changed their work relationship, right?

Trevor should've known by now it wasn't that easy.

"Stop, stop, stop," Hunter calls out after watching Trevor and Adam, the first two participants in the WarGames match, botch a sequence for the third time. "Do either of you remember what's supposed to come next?"

Trevor rubs the back of his neck, glancing at Adam. "It was a hurricanrana, yeah?"

Adam meets his eyes briefly, then looks down at his feet. "No, I think it was an arm drag."

Hunter pinches at the bridge of his nose, then signals for them to come over with the clipboard in his hand. The rest of the guys in the match are already in their cages on the stage, and Trevor's glad they're not here to witness what has to be the equivalent of a parental scolding.

Trevor gets out of the ring through the middle ropes as Adam slides underneath them, sitting on the apron while Trevor hops down to the floor, crossing his arms over his chest. Hunter looks in between them with a furrowed brow. "What's going on," he asks, sounding every bit like a concerned dad. "Usually, you two are raring to go when you step in the ring with one another, and now it looks like you're not even trying to half-ass your way through it."

"That's on me," Adam speaks up, a hand to his chest. "I'm just having an off day, but as soon as you put me in the ring, I'll be ready. Promise."

"It's not all on Adam," Trevor says, because even though he's still hurt, it doesn't seem fair to heap all the blame on him. Trevor can feel Adam's eyes on him, but he keeps his gaze trained on Hunter. "I keep forgetting certain spots, but that won't happen in the match."

Hunter sizes them up for a moment, then catches Trevor completely off guard with what he says next. "Listen, I know this isn't my place, but I've been hearing some rumors that you two may have broken up. Any truth to that?"

Trevor opens his mouth, but snaps it closed subsequently. Hunter's right, it's not his place. But Trevor's not gonna be the one to tell him that, so he opts to say nothing at all. Man, when did he turn into a petulant teenager?

When it's clear that they aren't going to respond, Hunter says, "Okay. I respect you choosing to stay silent, as it is your business after all. But this match has to be booked. So, whatever's going on, it needs to be worked out by tomorrow, understood?"

"Yes, sir," the two men echo.

Hunter nods, glancing down at his clipboard and releasing a sigh. "Until then, I'm calling an audible. Trevor, I'm taking you and Kyle out of tonight's six-man for a singles bout."

Trevor would object, but he could use the break to get his head on straight if he's being honest. Adam, on the other hand, looks utterly disbelieving. "What?" He slides off the apron with wide eyes. "Hunter, Trevor and I can wrestle each other just fine with no problems."

"Then prove it tomorrow," Hunter retorts, leaving no room for argument. He starts heading towards Kyle to inform him of this change, throwing over his shoulder, "You'll thank me later."

+

Trevor's a professional. He's a professional and he wants this match to go well, so he refuses to let his and Adam's break-up get in the way of everyone shining in the main event of this Takeover.

It's why he's the one to reach out to Adam and has him meet him at the arena so that they can work out their first sequence. Everyone else should be here soon, but as it stands, it's just the two of them. Trevor chooses to skip the pleasantries and get straight to work and what they put together is a lot better than the clumpy mess they were involved in yesterday.