chapter 4: how to lose a friend in 10 seconds

This is not a date. So, why is it that Trevor somehow doesn't know what to wear and has found himself go through one too many outfit changes on Saturday morning like this is some movie montage? The only thing missing is the upbeat music, because he's already got the supportive best friend/roommate that gives him input on each one sitting on their couch. Scratch that. He's got a jet-lagged best friend/roommate, snoring softly on their couch, which is no help whatsoever.

"Hey." He kicks Akira's shoe, but that doesn't wake him up. Trevor had only left him alone for a minute or two, so how could he be out cold so quick? "Tozawa." Trevor bends over to slap him on the cheek yet does so maybe a little harder than intended. If the way Akira jolts up and knocks his head against his is anything to go off of. "Ow, damn it."

Akira groans, eyes squeezed shut as he rubs at his forehead. He brings up a hand, pointing a finger at where he suspects Trevor is and missing by a wide margin. "That's your karma for waking me."

Trevor and Akira have been best friends for a long time. And after their other best friend, Apollo Crews, had begun starting a family on his own and Trevor was going through a tough break-up, he and Akira decided to move in together. They're both goofballs and film lovers, and Akira's action figure collection allows him to appreciate Trevor's love of music that is often filling the house when Akira enters coming off an intense traveling schedule. Though he spends more time on the road than he does at home, traveling to cities he'd only ever dreamed of visiting, Akira is more than grateful to come home and judge outfits as his friend plays dress up.

Trevor blinks away the slight pain, then grabs Akira's hand to focus it on its intended target before dropping it to straighten up. "Yeah, next time remind me to use a ten-foot pole and a helmet. What do you think about this one?" When Akira opens his eyes, Trevor does his most casual pose: one hand resting on his chin as he stares into space in a way that makes him look thoughtful. "Too much?"

He's dressed in a sky-blue button-down shirt and jean shorts. He feels a little ridiculous modeling outfit after outfit, but he's not entirely sure of the attire for a baseball game. Akira's been to a couple, so he's his best shot.

Akira rests on the couch with his arms propped behind his head and gives him a once over. "The pose? Yes. The outfit? No." He slumps over, letting his head fall in his hands. "It's fine, just like the other 26 were fine."

Smirking, Trevor backs away to his bedroom to change once again. This outfit would be fine if he were going golfing, maybe, but not to sit outside in a crowded stadium. "Look at you, making references to 27 Dresses." Once he ducks into the room, he raises his voice so Akira can hear him as he begins unbuttoning his shirt. "And you said nothing would come out of my Katherine Heigl phase."

"Yes, because understanding all of your rom-com references is definitely a talent that will come in handy in wrestling." Trevor shakes his head, dropping the shirt onto his bed and turning back to his closet to find something else. He hears footsteps and can feel Akira's presence in the room before he sees him. "I don't understand why you have to get dressed up for Adam Cole of all people."

Trevor turns away from the closet to Akira, the prepared statement on his tongue melting away at his friend's questioning stare. He feels a little vulnerable all of a sudden, and he suspects that has little to do with the fact that he's standing there without a shirt on. He cuts his eyes back to his closet, pulling a peach one he doesn't remember owning off the rack. "It's not like that, if that's what you're thinking." Too fancy. He puts the shirt back inside.

"Then tell me what it's like? Because from where I'm standing it looks like you're getting ready for a date."

"It's not a date," Trevor snaps without meaning to, jerking his head back to Akira. "How naive do you guys think I am," he asks, shoulders sagging. "I've already got Mia and Johnny on my case about it, now I gotta hear it from you?" He scoffs, snatching a random shirt from the closet. "You know better than anyone that I'm not trying to go through that again. I won't."