chapter 20: deliver us from evelyn

It's nighttime and Trevor and Adam are in Kentucky for tomorrow's live event, on the road to their hotel. Tomorrow Adam will meet Trevor's mother, and while Trevor should maybe be nervous about that, he's got way more pressing concerns at the moment. Chief of which is putting up with Adam purposefully singing off-key to a Dixie Chicks song. Definitely proof enough that they're in Kentucky.

"Please change it," Trevor advises. Not because he doesn't care for the song, but because Adam doesn't know the words and is literally butchering it. That's damaging to Trevor's ears.

Adam doesn't dispute, reaching to fiddle with the radio dial. "What do they even play in Kentucky anyway?"

That was a good question. Whenever Trevor was visiting, he usually put in CDs because he couldn't stand Kentucky's definition of variety. But Adam was distractedly kissing him during packing, and he forgot his music, so Trevor was forced to make do with what they had. He shrugs. "I think it's usually a toss-up between shitty bluegrass and folk music."

"Right up your alley," Adam jokes, sending Trevor a smile as the next song he settles on floats through the car. It's "Love Lies" by Khalid and Normani, and this is right up Trevor's alley.

"Aye, turn that up." Adam does, and Trevor nods his head along, mouthing some of the words. "Man, I love this song."

Adam doesn't say anything right away, listening to the lyrics. After he's heard enough, he chuckles. "I think this could be applied to the soundtrack of our relationship."

Trevor thinks that over as he's pulling into the parking lot of the hotel. But I've been waitin' for you my whole damn life. When it feels so good but it's bad for you. And a whole bunch of other lyrics that practically scream Trevor and Adam. So, Trevor doesn't even try to disagree.

They get their bags and make their way to the hotel to retrieve their key card. Trevor was kind of tired during the drive, but now he's wide awake. Especially because Adam keeps trying to serenade him with "Love Lies". Adam doesn't know all the words, but he knows the ones that matter, and he sounds heavenly.

As the two push into their room and set down their bags, Adam whisks an amused Trevor into a slow dance around the room, continuing to sing. Trevor's mind flashbacks to the night at the gas station, when he was hesitant to even consider kissing Adam. Now he doesn't have to second guess anything, because he knows this is it.

This is where they were supposed to be.

In the middle of the chorus, Trevor leans in to kiss Adam, painstakingly slowly. Though Adam is thrown off, he kisses back like he was born to do so. When the kiss breaks, Trevor gives him a once over, taking in Adam's blue shirt decorated with video game controllers and jeans as he falls harder with each passing second. "Where does your love lie, Adam?"

Adam chuckles lowly, eyes going crinkly at the edges as he eases Trevor closer with his arms that are already around Trevor's waist. "You already know the answer to that."

Trevor picks up his hands to cup Adam's face, not looking away from his gaze. "I want you to tell me."

Adam's smile falls and he swallows, every bit of serious as he is when they're in the ring together. "With you," he replies determinedly. He releases a huff of breath, the emotion in his eyes a mix of joy and desire. "Always with you."

Trevor doesn't know who closes the distance first. Maybe it's him or maybe it's Adam or maybe they both gravitate towards each other at the same damn time. None of that matters when their lips connect, and the world falls away.

Interlocking his hands behind Adam's neck, Trevor pulls him backwards towards the bed, lips still connected. He feels his legs knock against the foot of it and he and Adam tumble onto the soft blankets. There's no question about where this is leading, yet Adam pulls back, chest heaving as he asks for confirmation. "I've got lube and condoms in my bag, but are you sure about this?"