chapter 14: did you hear about the jenkins?

They'll be staying with Adam's mom for a little less than a week. When Adam had mentioned finding a hotel to settle into, Trevor could practically hear Melissa scoff through the phone as she insisted that there was enough room for them there. While it wasn't his childhood home by any means, Trevor thought Adam would be excited at the thought of staying there for such an extended period of time. However, the closer they get to his mom's house, the more anxious Adam starts to get.

It's in subtle ways, but enough for Trevor to pick up on. The way his fingers start drumming against the steering wheel, almost frantic. Or how he starts making random sounds with his mouth to fill an oddly silent car. Something's bothering him. That couldn't have been any clearer if it were written across the sky. At a stoplight, Trevor taps him on the arm. "Are you okay?"

At this question, Adam turns to him with a confused stare. "'Course." He puts on a smile. "Why wouldn't I be?"

Trevor doesn't want to drop it exactly, so he pushes it to the back burner and leaves it simmering. He can return to it later if Adam wishes to confess what's on his mind. But when they arrive at his mom's, Trevor wonders if he was reading too much into things. Because the moment they pull into the driveway, Adam's wearing a bright smile; though Trevor is still certain it lies somewhere between real and replicated.

"There you two are!"

Trevor and Adam look up from where they've just opened the trunk of the car to see Melissa exiting the front door. She comes around to the back of the car and envelops Adam in a hug, who buries his face in her hair. "Hi, Mom," he greets softly in a way that has a warm feeling settling in the pit of Trevor's stomach.

Melissa backs away, hands on either side of his face. "Welcome home, Scout."  Her eyes are still lit up as her gaze focuses on Trevor. "And Trevor." To his absolute shock, she hugs him, too. He didn't expect such a greeting from a woman he'd only met once, but he hugs back regardless. "I'm so glad you could make it."

"I'm happy to be here," Trevor says and means it.

Smiling as she pulls away, Melissa glances in between them and gestures to the house. "Alec should be in from Philly soon, but Teddy and Calvin have already made it in from Hershey." She beams, joy completely evident from having her family back together. "I know they can't wait to see you."

"We'll get our bags and be right there," Adam tells her, and Melissa kisses his cheek before turning on her heels to head back towards the house.

When she's disappeared inside, Trevor lets out a sigh, turning to face Adam, who's avoiding his gaze. He starts to ask him what's wrong but decides on a different approach. "You know, we don't have to stay here," Trevor ventures, voice low despite no one being around.

"Is there a reason we shouldn't?" Adam sends him a puzzled glance and misinterprets the suggestion. "If you're nervous about staying around my family, don't be." He reaches into the trunk and comes away with Trevor's backpack and duffle to hand him. "They're gonna love you. I promise this isn't a Get Out situation."

Trevor cringes, sliding on his backpack with a shake of his head. "I'm not super comfortable with you making that joke," he says, putting his duffle bag on his shoulder.

"Noted, sorry." Adam removes his bags, then closes the trunk to turn to Trevor with his crinkly-eyed smile. "This is why you're my fake boyfriend. I like someone who calls me out on my shit."

"Well, I've been doing it since the day we met, so why stop now?" Trevor tries to steer the topic back on track. "No, I'm not nervous about your family. I just know you're not telling me something. That makes me nervous."