chapter 11: while you were wrestling

Two days pass before Trevor gathers the courage to call his mom and tell her about Adam. Though she isn't one for social media, she has friends that would jump at the chance to pry into his private life, thus alerting her to his and Adam's relationship before he's had the chance.

Trevor stops his thumb from where he almost pressed dial, pinching the bridge of his nose as he shakes his head. Fake relationship. If he doesn't add that "fake" in front of it, he's practically begging for trouble that he doesn't want or need.

To prepare for a conversation that's no doubt going to focus on Adam, Trevor pushes him to the back burner as he dials his mom. She picks up on the first ring. "Trevor," she exclaims happily, and Trevor can hear The Temptations playing in the background. "Hey, baby."

"Hey, Mama. What are you doing?"

"I just finished doing some cleaning. It's nowhere near as exciting as wrestling, but someone's gotta do it." The music over the line lowers and Trevor hears a door shut. "And speaking of wrestling, shouldn't you be in a match?"

"I go on soon, but I had some time," he tells her, scratching at the back of his head. "I'm teaming up with the War Raiders to take on Undisputed Era. How do you feel about Undisputed Era, by the way?"

Probably not the best transition, but his mother doesn't seem to mind. "I could do without them beating my son up whenever they have the chance, but I like them. Why do you ask?"

"Because Adam Cole and I are sort of dating?" Trevor realizes that he's phrased it like a question and also said it with zero confidence, so he clears his throat and tries for a rephrase. "We're dating, but it's casual." If casual was another word for fake, that is. "We're casually dating. Um, yeah," he trails off, not knowing what else to say.

"Trevor, that's great news." Trevor can practically feel her joy radiating through the phone. "I never met him during your PWG days, but he seemed like a nice guy. And he's treating you good?"

"Yes, ma'am," he replies. Feels a smile growing on his face and drops it subsequently. "He's good. We're good. But we can talk more about it later. I just wanted you to hear it from me and not one of your nosy friends at the salon."

"Yeah, you know how much they love to talk about business that's not theirs," she agrees. "I'm happy to hear about you and Adam. I also know you two wrestle each other a lot, so don't let it get in the way of winning."

Trevor laughs. "Love where your mind's at, but I wouldn't dream of it. I love you and I'll call you tomorrow."

"Okay, baby. Love you, too."

As soon as Trevor hangs up his phone, Adam is sitting down beside him on the equipment crate. He drops his head to rest on Trevor's shoulder with a yawn, giving Trevor a whiff of the peanut butter cookies he indulged in at catering. "Okay, so I'm thinking one of us lays down for the other in the ring, match ends, we go home. It's a win-win situation."

Trevor snorts, nudging him lightly in the ribs with his elbow. "How's that possible if one of us loses?"

"I'm employing New Day tactics." Adam picks his head up, looking pretty proud of himself as he stares at Trevor with a crooked smile. "If one of us win, we both win."

Trevor's head tilts to the side, amused if nothing else. "You know that only works if we're not fighting each other, right? So, I fully plan to go out there and kick your ass."

Adam shakes his head with pursed lips. "I guarantee you that no member of the New Day would treat me this way."

"Careful, now," Trevor warns playfully. "I might start to get jealous."