chapter 15: breakfast at teddy's

The next morning Trevor wakes up to the ringing of his phone and Adam spooning him, his left arm draped lazily over Trevor's waist as he sleeps soundlessly. Trevor doesn't remember agreeing to be the little spoon, but it's actually kinda nice. He blinks away sleep and stretches his arm enough so that he can reach his phone on the nightstand without jostling Adam. The number calling isn't in his contacts, but he picks it up anyway because of the Pennsylvania area code. "Hello?"

"Hey, Trevor," Teddy greets on the other line. "I hope you don't mind that Austin gave me your number."

"No, it's cool." Honestly, he's more shocked at the time. He glances at the clock. 7:42 in the morning. Trevor would give anything for a few more hours of sleep, but the early bird catches the worm and whatnot. He makes do with the rest that he's had. "What's up?"

"I was calling to invite you guys to breakfast at me and Calvin's. I'd like to get to know you in a setting that doesn't include my mom's dry peanut butter cookies."

Trevor chuckles. "Uh, yeah. Sounds good." He feels Adam nuzzle against the back of his neck and lowers his voice to ask his next question. "Will Alec be there?"

Teddy goes silent for a moment. Then finally, "No, he won't. It's more of a couples thing."

Trevor isn't so convinced by that. He wants to ask what her take on everything is between the brothers but decides that's a better conversation to have in person. "Okay. We'll be there soon."

He hangs up the phone and gently nudges Adam with his elbow. "Wake up, Sleeping Beauty. Your sister invited us to breakfast."

Adam yawns, then sits up so that he's leaning over Trevor with low eyelids and a sleep sated smile. "Morning, handsome. I saw you in my dreams. Will you make them come true?"

Flopping onto his back, Trevor playfully pie faces Adam away from him. "Nah, you gotta brush your teeth before you flirt with me."

Adam's suddenly wide awake, quirking an eyebrow. "And after?"

Trevor sits back up, swinging his feet onto the floor and stands. He looks back at Adam who is unashamedly checking out his backside and shrugs. "We'll see."

+

Because Adam's so distracted by Trevor's words, Trevor is able to beat him into the bathroom to get ready for the day. After he's brushed his teeth and showered, he heads downstairs and is immediately greeted by the smell of coffee being overpowered by the scent of burnt chocolate.

He makes his way to the kitchen and finds Melissa, cursing as she dumps something into the trashcan. She looks up to see him and offers a sheepish smile. "Good morning, Trevor. Please ignore the burnt pastries." Melissa places the pan in the sink, moving over to the cabinets. "Would you like some coffee?"

"Sure." Trevor sits down at the table as Melissa removes two ceramic glasses and fills them with coffee.

"I have to say that you and Austin make quite the pair." She brings the cups to the table and Trevor thanks her as she hands him one. "It's not hard to see why he gushes about you," she says as she sits down across from him.

Trevor stops the cup inches away from his lips, lowering it back to the table as he looks at Melissa with a questioning stare. "Gushes?"

Melissa nods, taking a sip from her cup. "To tell you the truth, gushes might be an understatement. He called me just last week to talk about you and your match and I didn't think it was going to be possible to get him off the phone. That boy is smitten."

While Trevor is at a loss for words, Melissa continues. "I've never seen him this happy, Trevor. That's because of you." She sets her coffee down to look him in the eyes. "Thank you for being in my son's life."