chapter 19: to all the ones i've wrestled before

Trevor and Adam make it back to Florida a day before the next live event, and after spending the past week so close in each other's company, Adam stays at Trevor's apartment that night. It's a Thursday, but Trevor's feeling like a Sunday meal, so he and Adam get to work in the kitchen. Pork chops, collard greens, candied yams, and cornbread AKA some of Trevor's favorite things growing up with his mother. He's so thankful she taught him how to cook.

Trevor supervises as Adam seasons the pork chops, which should be as far from sexy as possible. But Adam has his hair in a fishtail braid and is wearing a gray Ricochet tank, and he keeps leaning over to kiss Trevor whenever he's close enough. The whole scene is so domestic, since Trevor is wearing his "Shock the System" muscle tee given to him by Adam and sweatpants as he pads around his home with bare feet. The way they move around one another easily in the kitchen is enough to make Trevor want things to stay like this forever.

The next day, Trevor's prepared for the live event in Citrus Springs. Adam isn't working the show, but Trevor's got a match so he's carpooling to the show with Keith Lee. Adam has a date with cleaning out his fridge, though he spends the day with Trevor until it's time to leave.

"I'm thinking of playing up the clingy trope," Adam says, carrying Trevor's bag to Keith's car at his own insistence. He tosses it in the trunk and closes it, then turns to Trevor with a pout. "I miss you already. When will you be back?"

Trevor laughs. "C'mere." Trevor wraps his arms around Adam's neck in an embrace as Adam's slip around his waist, one hand running up and down his back comfortably. "You don't need any tropes. Just be yourself."

When Trevor goes to pull back, Adam keeps him in place. "A few more seconds."

Trevor jokingly rolls his eyes but allows him that anyway. "Keith is doing me a favor, not the other way around," he tells him when those few seconds pass. "We should've left like yesterday."

"Keith pounced me last month and I told you about that horrifying experience. He can let me have this." Adam finally backs away and grins at Trevor, hands moving to his hips. "Stay the night with me? I'll rent Crazy Rich Asians and tomorrow you can carpool with me and the boys."

"I'll think about it," he claims, though he has every intention of saying yes. Trevor closes the distance to capture Adam's lips in his, kissing him longer than intended. He wants to stay right here like this for as long as possible. Though he's only able to for a little bit longer because the loud honk of Keith's horn causes them to break apart. "I'm coming," he hollers with a chuckle. "I'll text you when we make it, alright?"

"Okay." Adam leans in for one more fleeting kiss. "You don't need it but good luck. Make sure to steal the show for me."

Smirking as he backs away, Trevor cockily replies, "When do I do anything but?" He turns on his heels and heads to the passenger side of Keith's car.

"I thought the show would've started and ended by the time you said goodbye," Keith greets when Trevor gets in and fastens his seatbelt.

"You can't tell me that you and Mia aren't the same way." Keith doesn't say anything but smiles and Trevor nods. "Yeah, thought so."

"Fine, you caught me." He turns his smile on Trevor briefly, pulling out of the parking lot to set off for Citrus Springs. "I just think it's cute that you two are still in the honeymoon phase."

Trevor's never liked that term. Realistically, he knows that things won't be like this all of the time, but "honeymoon phase" makes it sound like shit will hit the fan quick when you least expect it. While their relationship might have some elements of a romantic comedy, Trevor is hoping more than anything that their climax won't cause any problems. Of course, he can't divulge all that info to Keith, so he simply shrugs and stares out the window. "We're just taking it day by day."