chapter 13: 500 hours of cole

"Um." Lacey rocks back and forth on her feet in front of the concession stand, staring up at the menu for what felt like forever at this point. If Trevor had hair, it'd have gone gray by now. "Do you guys have those big pickles?"

"We sold the last one before the show ended," the merchant tells her.

"Damn." Lacey turns around, looking at Trevor and Mia who wait impatiently behind her. "What do y'all think I should get?"

"A sense of time," Trevor offers, earning an elbow in the side from Mia. He turns to her, pouting. "What? The show's over and we're still here trying to get food. I'd rather eat before my flight, Mia."

The road to Lancaster, PA begins tonight with Trevor and Adam taking a flight to Pittsburgh. Then they'll drive to a hotel closer to Lancaster so that they can set out on a two-hour drive to Melissa's in the morning. Adam wasn't booked for the show tonight, but he'd be here any minute. A lot of good it'll do, considering Trevor may never leave the concession line due to his friend's indecisiveness.

"I'm sure those little peanuts will satisfy you and Adam just fine," Mia teases, knocking her shoulder against his. She turns back to the menu, asking, "Where is he, anyway?"

Trevor looks around to spot Adam coming their way, and Trevor nods at him, smiling. "Speak of the devil and he shall appear," he jokes loud enough for Adam to hear.

Adam grins, inserting himself in the middle of Trevor and Mia, draping an arm over Trevor's shoulders as he does so. "Babe, you know I'm never too far out of reach." He smirks at Mia. "And Mia here knows that I'm only a call away when she misses me."

"Boy, don't make me smack you in front of your boyfriend," she threatens good-naturedly.

"Trevor wouldn't let you smack me," Adam says way too confidently.

"Trevor has no say in who Mia chooses to smack," Trevor tells him, easing from underneath Adam's arm and gesturing to him. "Smack away."

Mia raises her hand and moves as if she's going in for the slap, causing a chuckling Adam to raise his own hands in defense. "Okay, okay. Don't slap me, please." When Mia drops her hand, she moves up to the counter with Lacey, trying to urge her along as Adam returns his attention to Trevor. "Ready to go? Flight leaves in thirty."

"I know, but I'm still waiting to get something to eat," he replies, pointedly raising his voice.

"Hey," Lacey calls out, looking over her shoulder to glare at him. "You know very well how indecisive I can be."

"I do, and frankly it's a problem." She rolls her eyes and goes back to talking to the concession merchant even slower this time to Mia's amusement at least.

Adam gives a dismissive wave of his hand. "Don't worry about that. I picked you up something from JoJo's Wings on the way here." He holds up a finger, looking proud of himself. "And I didn't forget the fried okra this time."

Trevor can't help the way he involuntarily breaks out into a smile as he gives Adam an impressed nod. "I gotta hand it to you. You're really stepping up your boyfriend game."

"Only the best for you, Trev."

"Ugh," Mia groans, turning around with the makings of a smile on her face. "How about y'all go get on your flight before you make me lose my appetite with all that lovey-dovey mess?"

"We're nothing compared to you and Keith, but okay." Trevor closes the distance between them to give her a hug. "You two stay out of trouble while I'm gone."

"Should be easy to do without you around," Lacey responds when he bends down to hug her. "Be safe."

And with that, they're off to Baggett Airfield to catch their flight to Pittsburgh.