chapter 22: he's just too into you

The Halloween party goes by smoothly, and Trevor's kind of in love with how well they pulled off their costumes. Who would've thought a scene from a Disney movie could've impacted them so?

When it's all said and done, they go back to Adam's and share a quick shower before falling fast asleep in his bed. Trevor's feeling so happy that his smile is almost permanent at this point. But it's because of this happiness that his guard is lowered, and he isn't ready for what comes next.

On the first day of November at an NXT live event, Trevor is originally scheduled to face Adam. But they've been doing that match so much lately that the powers that be decided to mix things up. By doing so, they place Roddy against Trevor for the North American Championship, thus giving Adam the day off.

So, when it's time to leave, Trevor kisses Adam goodbye, carpools to the show with B, Tez, and Angelo, and everything's fine. Everything's normal.

He gets to the arena, heads straight to catering and decides to stuff his face as he busies himself with texting Apollo and Johnny. Then Trevor calls his mom and talks for around ten minutes before throwing away his plate and heading off to find Roddy to book their match.

Their minds have always worked well together, and the two of them piece together something that's both new and interesting that Trevor's proud of. When they've finished, Trevor grabs at a towel to wipe at his face, going over to his phone to find a text from Adam.

ADAM: Currently getting my ass handed to me on the Rainbow Road track and thinking about how I could've been wrestling you instead.

TREVOR: Babe, I would've handed you your ass, too.

ADAM: Maybe, but I would've enjoyed that a lot more.

TREVOR: You're a sucker for punishment.

ADAM: That I am, which is why I'm about to swing by the PC for an intense workout. Gotta keep this body in shape for you.

TREVOR: What would I ever do without your generosity?

ADAM: Weep into a pint of Ben and Jerry's maybe?

TREVOR: You're funny, but don't quit your day job.

ADAM: I wouldn't dream of it since it allows me to see you every day. Call me on your way home?

TREVOR: Yeah. Pick me up that protein shake I didn't grab the other day on yours?

ADAM: I'll do you one better and pick up two.

Smiling, Trevor places his phone into the side of his duffle as Roddy sidles up next to him, drinking from a water bottle. He gestures at Trevor with his free hand. "I don't even have to ask to know you're texting Adam."

Trevor turns to him, leaning against the barricade with his smile still in place. "It's that obvious, huh?"

Roddy nods, taking big gulps from his water. "It might as well be written on your face." He caps his bottle, tossing it onto his bag as he starts to return to the ring. But not before he says something that has Trevor doing a double take. "Can't believe it took a bet for him to finally get his shit together."

Slowly, Trevor's smile starts to fall away. He straightens. "What bet?"

Roddy freezes, taking in Trevor's face. Realizing that Trevor has no idea what he's talking about, Roddy winces, avoiding eye contact. "Fuck, I can't believe I just said that."