Chapter 3 - Plaza Mayor

When I realized what I thought was a ringing in my ear was actually my doorbell, I jumped up from bed and ran to the buzzer.

"Who is it?" I pressed the button.

"Who do you think it is? Look at the time," Keylor says as I recognize his voice.

Noon. I ring him up, make my bed and fix my appearance up a little as he makes his way to my apartment. I rush back over to the door as soon as I hear the knocking. I swing the door wide open with my best apologetic face on and Keylor begins to laugh at me.

"I am so, so, so sorry-"

"Relax," he stops me midway between my yammering. "I figured you'd just be waking up. I brought you breakfast," he smiles.

"Bless your soul," I let out a gasp and shut the door.

A couple of minutes later when I finish up my breakfast and offer him endlessly if he wants anything, I start to get ready so we can head out the door. We decide upon walking, no matter how far the place. It's a good opportunity for me to finally explore Madrid. We walk along my neighborhood and Keylor shows me the local shops, where to find everything and some really nice parks nearby and then we finally head to the place he wanted to take me to for today. Plaza Mayor.

We left the house pretty late and we took our time walking all the way over here so by the time we arrive the sun is setting the view is just spectacular. We walk around the whole plaza and I make Keylor take a bunch of pictures of me to send to my friends and to keep. We also take some together and a couple of people stop him along the way for an autograph or two.

James' POV

I took the long way home, which including passing by Plaza Mayor for a bit. I stood by the sides, not wanting anyone to notice me but I still managed to get some fans rushing up to me. I don't mind it at all, just wanted some time to clear my mind. When I finish taking a photo with a girl that came rushing up to me not long ago, my gaze follows her as she leaves to go back to her group of friends. A flash not too far from her caught my attention and as soon as the light faded, I spotted Kat.

She was sticking her tongue out at the camera Keylor was pointing at her which made me smile. I contemplate walking over to them. I rejected her invitation yesterday because I didn't really want to third wheel but I'm really tempted to go over to them both.

Katalina's POV

"Brilliant," I tell Keylor as he passes me my phone back and I look at the photo he took of me.

Soon after, Keylor begins to greet someone and I look up from my phone to spot James.

"Hey," I smile before I kiss him on the cheek to greet him and he does the same back. "What are you doing here?"

"I was walking around a bit and I spotted you two," he says.

"Kat told me she invited you yesterday," Keylor says.

"Yeah, she did, my plans fell through earlier than I thought. Plus I thought you two were gonna go out super early," James responds.

"Jet lag," I chuckle and the two of them join. "Well, you should join us now... show me what Madrid has to offer. Keylor is a mediocre tour guide."

"Hey," Keylor swats my arm making James laugh.

"I don't know, my bed sounds so enticing right now," James smirks.

"Drinks. I'm buying," I cheer.

"Come on, man, the lady clearly wants you here," Keylor tells James and I smile widely at James, adding to his point.

"Alright, fine," James gives in.

The three of us head out to a bar in the center of where we all live so we're not too far away from our places after we get some drinks in our system. The walk is long but I get to know James a bit more, and Keylor and him seem to be pretty close as they make me laugh all the way there. At some point I almost couldn't catch my breath.

We finally arrive at the bar and we grab a small table in the middle of it. James goes and orders our drinks for us with a pitcher of beer for the three of us.

"James seems great," I tell Keylor.

"Yeah, he is. Really great, down to earth-"

"Family man," I interrupt him.

"Does that bother you?" he asks me.

"No, I just forget that all you football players like to get married when you're like twelve," I admit.

"Hey," he responds.

"It's okay though, your wife is hot," I smirk.

"Stay away from her," he jokes as James arrives with the drinks.

Keylor helps him with the pitcher and I help with our individual drinks.

"James," Keylor starts. "Is Daniela here yet?"

"Um, no she isn't. She's been back and forth from Monaco and back home. She's in Colombia right now though, she's gonna stay there for a couple of weeks."

"Must be hard without her and your daughter," Keylor says.

"It is, but I'm focusing on the club now, I still talk to them everyday," James admits.

"That's nice," I comment. "I'm just getting used to this whole 'Skype with me on weekends' thing," I laugh.

"You'll get used to it," James says.

I start to unwrap my straw as Keylor chimes in.

"Who'd want to Skype with you?" he asks.

I blow the wrapper in his face and receive a laugh from James.

"Just joking, love," Keylor teases.

A couple of rounds later, and my refusal of many of the stories Keylor began telling James, it's past midnight.

"No, no! That's not how it happened," I begin to correct Keylor as he tells James an embarrassing story of me at a photo shoot.

"Alright fine, whatever you say," Keylor says.

Keylor looks at his watch as he takes a sip of beer.

"We have training tomorrow, right?" he asks James.

"Don't remind me," James says.

"Alright, it's way too late for me, I'm heading home," Keylor says as he gets up and places some money on the table.

"I'm buying," I exclaim.

"Don't worry," he says.

Keylor gives me a kiss on the cheek and says bye to James, leaving us two alone.

"What time do you have to be there for training?" I ask James.

"Seven-ish," he responds.

"We should get going too," I say before taking the final sip of my drink.

We split the rest of the tab and make our way to the street. I ask him a bit about the move to Spain and he says he misses his family but it's all worthwhile. He in turn asks me about my life back home in New York, he says he's only ever been to Newark and JFK for a bridge to his connecting flight, never seen the city.

I blink a couple of times before seeing the street sign clearly.

"Well, I'm that way," I point to my left.

"And I'm that way," he points straight.

We stand there silently for a second.

"Tonight was fun," I speak. "We should do it again some time, maybe when we don't have to be up so early the next day."

He laughs and agrees. He offers to take me home but I decline since the streets aren't quite so lonely. I give him a kiss on the cheek right after and we part ways.