Chapter 48 - We Would Never

"We would never," I tell her. "Neither of us would ever."

She puts the cap back on her pen and I gather my things.

"Thanks again," Rona speaks.

"As long as things get clarified," I tell her as I stand up.

"Don't worry, of course things will."

I pay my half of the bill for the lunch and leave a generous tip, then walk down the street to catch a cab back home.

Rona happened to be in town for a conference and I urged her to come get my word on the week old situation. How I came between James and Daniela or how James came between Neymar and I. Either ridiculous theory has been circulating through the grape vine and it's sickening me still.

I get out of the cab after paying the driver and make my way home.

I try not tripping over the boxes in my room as I try to get into my bed.

"Neymar?" I exclaim to see if he's home.

No one answers. I hear footsteps and sit up in bed as Carolina pops out of nowhere.

"I'm putting Davi to sleep," she whispers.

"Sorry," I whisper back.

I get up from bed right after and call up the moving company. I ask for the time slot they gave me for the second round of boxes I ordered to get sent home. Like clockwork a truck arrives at the gate and I let the two men in, I want these boxes out of here as fast as possible.

"It's been a trip," Caro starts to talk and scares me a bit.

I turn to face her as she inches closer. All I can do is tighten the embrace she already has around me.

"I won't see you before you leave so," she starts. "I guess this is goodbye?"

I give her a slight smile as she grasps onto her purse a bit awaiting my response.

"Thank you for everything," I smile. "You have my number, let's keep in touch."

"Of course," she lets out an awkward chuckle.

I hug her one last time before she leaves the house. After a quick goodbye sort of speech we go our separate ways.

A couple of minutes later the men from the moving company clear the house out of anything of mine that tainted the memory in the house. Every last item of mine was out of sight for Neymar forever. Before I shut the front door after leading the men out I spot Neymar's car making its way into the driveway so I wait for him in the doorway.

"Is Carolina there?" he asks before shutting the car door.

"No, she left a while ago. How come?" I answer and ask.

"You were here with those men by yourself?" he asks, furrowed eyebrows and frowning.

"It was all good," I point out as I move past the door into the living room. "Everything's done, everything's gone. All that's left is me and my suitcase."

Neymar let's out a deep breath and moves down the hall.

"I'm going to take a shower," he says.

I take the opportunity to google James' name again and sure enough Cosmopolitan is the first thing that comes up. The headline "We Would Never." Good job Rona.

I read the article and half smile at it afterwards. Only half because I know this won't fix anything and everyone's opinions of me are set. I shouldn't care what people think but I'm portrayed as the villain and I need to get far, far, away from all this bullshit.

My flight to New York leaves in two days. My flight to Madrid leaves tomorrow morning.

I hear Davi crying and I rush to his room to make sure everything's okay. He was sat up in bed, tears rolling down his face. Just a nightmare, hopefully.

"You and me both kid," I whisper before going over to him to comfort him.

A while later he's lying down on his stomach as I rub his back. Neymar walks in with a towel around his lower body asking if everything was fine.

"It is now," I say as I get up from the floor.

We leave Davi's room and walk down the hall to Neymar's room.

"What time do we have to be at the airport?" Neymar asks as he walks back into the bathroom to get dressed.

"By eight," I say from his bed. "I'm telling you, I'll just take a cab."

"Kat," he says before stepping out the bathroom. "Come on."

Neymar crawls into his bed and I get up.

"Goodnight," I wave. "Sweet dreams, Neymar."

As I take one step out the door I hear him call out for me.

"Kat!" he almost sighs. "Get back here."

"Yeah?" I ask, already knowing what he was going to say.

"You're spending your last night here with me," he points at the other side of the bed.

"You know," I start as I get under the covers. "We never really did break up."

"We haven't," he turns to me and I let out a chuckle.

I finally get a smile from him, I forgot how much I love his smile.

"It's January," he starts. "Nine months?"

"Yeah, but we've known each other for over a year," I turn to face him.

"We've been having a good run," he lets out a chuckle.

"You want to let this last, don't you?" I begin to laugh at him.

"One more night is all I ask for," he smiles as he grabs my hand.

"Thanks for everything," I say, intertwining our fingers.

"My pleasure, Kat," he says, rubbing my knuckles with his fingers. "How'd Luis take it?"

"Disappointed, very," I spoke as I began to rub his hand in mine. "The guys were a bit sad. Well, at least I'd like to think so."

Neymar begins to laugh a little. "I'm positive they were."

I tell him about my goodbyes with Carolina, Antonella and all the other friends I've made here in Barcelona. We talk a bit about us and we have a laugh for a bit. I turn to look at the time and I'm reminded that we have to be up early.

"We should go to sleep," I point out.

"That we should," Neymar says before yawning.

He leans over and leaves a kiss on my forehead.

"Sweet dreams, Katalina."

I lean over and leave a kiss on his lips.

"Sweet dreams, Neymar."