Chapter 32 - São Paulo to Cali

Two days later Neymar and I board our flight to Cali through Bogotá.

The flight was a red eye so we fell asleep throughout the four hour flight.

We wake up about an hour before the plane begins to land and we just ask for some drinks and I tell him about my family since we're going to stay with some of them.

When we arrived we took a cab to my family's home since I didn't want to disturb my other relatives who actually had cars and were at work.

We walked down the pathway to my home, lined with yellow safety stumps for cars along the sides. We arrive at the main door which is always open except for the security gate.

"Is anyone home?" I ask looking through the frame.

The TV was on but no one was seen in the living room.

"Hello?" I call out again.

I hear the sound of sandals come my way and my face lights up as I see my uncle.

"No, no, you're not wanted here," he begins to joke. "I don't have spare change."

"Oh my," I begin to chuckle. "Open up, please."

He comes my way and opens the door for Neymar and me.

"Who's he?" My uncle asks as we walk in.

I give him a hug and a kiss on the cheek then introduce him to Neymar.

"You know Neymar," I point at him. "This is my, um, boyfriend."

"He looks familiar," my uncle squints. "Welcome. Kat, your cousin set up your room for you."

Neymar tries out his best Spanish and I explain to my uncle that he's Brazilian.

"You just went to Brazil to find a boyfriend didn't you?" My uncle mocks me.

After Neymar and I settle in a bit I take him around the center of town for a while then we go sit down at the outdoor section of this empanada restaurant, El Obelisco, and have lunch.

When we get back home there's some more of my family waiting to greet me and I'm forced to introduce Neymar to them all.

"Sorry I made you meet my family before yours," I whisper to him as we all head out the house to do some sightseeing.

"Well, we're staying with some of them so it's not like I had an option," he chuckles a bit.

As we all make our way to San Antonio, Neymar and I stay behind everyone and I take his hand in mine.

"Come on!" I yell at him as I run up the little pathway next to the church.

I stand in between some trees as I look for bark and he questions me.

"Grab that cardboard," I tell him as I point behind him.

"Why are there random pieces of cardboard up here?" Neymar questions.

I place a piece of cardboard on top of the palm bark and sit on it.

"Because of this," I look up at him before pushing myself forward.

I slide down the hill faster than I remember this ingenious slide being and I slam my feet on the ground before I reach the rest of the people walking around by the church and looking at artisan pieces.

I grab both the bark and cardboard and run up the pavement to Neymar with a smile on my face.

"Fun!" I cheer. "This is what it's like over here."

Neymar just smiles at me happily before I make him slide down and share the experience.

We meet back up with my relatives as we all head over to this tiny pizzeria across the road and we all order an oversized pie.