Chapter 25 - Madrid to Medellín

James' POV

The plane lands and when I make it out the airport I smell the familiar smell of home.

I greet my aunt and my mom with huge hugs and we make our way to the car. I've been missing everyone so much and I can't wipe the smile off my face.

"How is everyone?" I begin to beam. "I am so excited to see everyone."

"Everyone is fine, thank God. How are you? We've missed you so much, sweetie." my mom responds.

I inform the both of them about how the team is going, how everyone is. I tell them Daniela is more than tired in France right now, although she arrives tonight and I get to spend some more time with her. Salomé is already here, she stayed with Daniela's parents and they're all expecting me at my mom's house.

We make our way there and Salomé comes running up to me. I embrace her as soon as she reaches my feet and I am overwhelmed immediately. Seeing everyone has helped me take my mind off of things. I greet my sister too and we all head to the living room.

I greet Daniela's parents who are staying here until she arrives and I sit down with them as my mom says she's going to get dinner ready.

"James, tell us everything," Daniela's mom begins to cheer. "We've seen all the matches, we are so proud and happy for you!"

"I can't believe everything you've done!" my father-in-law joins.

My aunt sits right next to me and I hug her again before I begin to tell everyone everything as Salomé plays on my lap.

Before I know it, three hours pass and it's time for my aunt and I to head to the airport. I was set to go alone or with her parents, but I didn't want to do either so I asked her if she would come along before she made her way back to Ibagué.

I'm stood waiting outside the airport as I spot her coming my way, looking tired and beat.

"Baby," she smiles as she gets closer.

I pull her into the tightest hug I can and we head to the car, the hugest grins on both of our faces.

"Mom, dad!" Daniela cheers as we make it to my mom's home and she heads straight to them.

I watch her as she picks up Salomé and I walk into the kitchen where I find my mom saying bye to my aunt.

"You're leaving already?" I ask after I hug her.

"Don't want to get home too late," she smiles. "Oh, I am so proud of you! God bless!"

I plant a kiss on her cheek and she says goodbye to everyone else before I walk her to her car and thank her.

I walk back to the front door to spot Daniela waiting for me.

"This feels so good," she smiles at me. "I've missed you and now we can have a relaxing night together."

"I've missed you too," I smile at her before kissing her softly on her lips.

"Love you," she says before stepping into the house after Salome yells for her, leaving me no time to respond. The 'I' missing from that sentence stung.

I go back to the kitchen and chat with my mom and my sister for a little.

"I made your favorite," she says as she begins to serve the food. "Arroz con pollo."

"Thanks mom," I smile and hug her from behind, leaving a kiss on her cheek.

"I've missed you so much, why do you have to go so soon?" she whines.

"You know why, mom," I say as I lean back on the counter.

Daniela comes in and takes some plates off the counter to take back to the dining table. She calls for me shortly after and asks me to feed Salomé, so I tell my mom I'll eat later. The seven of us sit at the table and enjoy ourselves as best as we can.

It gets late and I go and put Salomé to bed whilst Daniela goes and says bye to her parents before they make their way back home; my sister goes to her room right after. I haven't gotten a chance to eat so once Salomé is all tucked in, I head to the kitchen where my mom is cleaning up.

"There's your plate, sweetie," she points over at the counter.

"Thanks, mom," I head over to the dinner table, Daniela isn't back yet.

I check my phone for any messages, I have some but none from Kat.

"Have you ever made baked ziti?" I call out for my mom.

"I don't know what that is," she responds before she comes and sits with me.

I try to ignore the feelings that rush back when I think of what happened between Kat and I, how it all ended- if it all ended.

"How's Juan?" I ask about my stepfather.

"He's good, sad he couldn't come to see you this weekend but he's off in Bogotá," my mom sighed.

"Mom," I begin. "After you got with Juan, did you ever think there was someone else out there for you?"

"There's one person for everyone," she states.

"How do you know you're with the right one?"

"Who are you thinking about, James?" she asks concerned.

"I'm not sure if I love her," I admit, not knowing whom I'm speaking of.

Daniela comes back in and cuts the conversation short, a shocked face on my mom. Daniela then goes to our room to change and my mom begins to hassle me about what I just blurted.

It's the middle of the night and I still can't sleep. Maybe I should apologize to Kat.

I head out to the pool and take my phone with me. I bring up our thread of messages and begin to type some mediocre apology in, then quickly stop when I hear footsteps coming my way.

I'm sat at the edge of the pool in my boxer shorts, legs in the water. Daniela comes and sits next to me and she does the same.

"What's going on? Is something up?" she asks.

"Jet lag," I lie.

She starts to kiss me on my neck and tell me how much she's missed me again and again.

"How's the apartment going in France?" I ask, making her stop.

She tells me how much it's going for and how much she had to clean, the real estate agent by her side at all times.

Without taking her pajamas off she hops into the pool.

"Are you crazy?" I ask her.

"Don't be such a downer," she smiles.

She hops up a little to kiss me and pulls me into the pool. I try to forget it all. I try to enjoy the time I have with her.