Chapter 14 - El Clásico

The match every Liga lover counts down to.

The cool October air only added to the tension. Tension you could cut. The crucible of football matches. I make my way out of the offices and head towards the stadium. I'm greeted by some colleagues of mine as I enter the stadium and get handed another pass to make my way onto the field. As I do so, the stadium is full and the enthusiasm is in the air. I couldn't show my support for Barcelona in an obvious manner so I just wore a blaugrana bracelet.

I greet Carlo as soon as I get past the group of men he was speaking to, we speak for a minute or two. Some of the men come back and I'm left standing on the side. I look over to my left and lock eyes with Luis Enrique. I don't hesitate in walking over to him, and I do so with confidence flowing through me.

"Luis Enrique," I start and put out my right hand. "Nice to meet you, I'm Katalina, head publicist and communications manager at Real."

We shake hands and he greets me with a kind smile back.

"Just wanted to wish you luck and meet you, I'm a big fan," I smile.

"Thank you, good luck to your team too. You're new here aren't you? I've heard of you," Luis spoke.

"You have?" I question. "That's new."

"Well, I've heard excellent things about your work, some of my players speak highly of you."

"Some?" I laugh internally as I think of Neymar.

I catch Luis looking at my wrist and I shift a little.

"Visca Barça," he smiles and I give him a smirk back before he turns to speak to another guy in a suit.

I walk back to Carlo and dismiss myself to go into the media room. I walk past some of the players and wish them luck as I enter the halls and I offer Neymar a smile as I catch his eye.

"Kat!" I hear James yell after me.

I turn in my heels and flash him a patient smile.

"Good luck, James," I tell him.

I look into his eyes and feel the nervousness on him. He let's out a deep breath and I grab both his arms and leave a kiss on his cheek.

"You'll do great," I add.

I look at Ronaldo who's at the end of the line looking at us both before I turn to head back to my designated area for the next half hour or so. I walk into the room that has screens on every inch of the walls and walk up to the center. I lean in behind my main crew and observe the social media insights. I order some other workers to put certain things up on Real's app and Twitter as the match soon begins.

I look up at the giant screen on the back wall and find myself cheering silently as Neymar makes the first goal four minutes in. Just what I wanted. I know Real won't just let the game end in zero for them so I'm not worried, but I'm happy Barcelona is in the lead.

James takes some shots and misses or gets blocked and my heart skips a beat. Messi is being guarded by basically everyone on Real and he can't get through to make his 252nd goal to break La Liga record. Marcelo pulls Neymar down and the referee doesn't even spot it, but he does manage to call out an accidental hand ball by Piqué. Ronaldo scores on the penalty and equalizes in the likely manner that he would.

The first half is over and I hear the teams come back into the hall. I walk out as the last Barcelona player makes it into their locker room and I spot James behind Pepe.

"You're doing amazing!" I cheer as I run up to him.

He looks absolutely tired and he winces as I grab at his arm and go in for a hug.

"Sorry," I say as I back away.

"Gotta go," he says before stepping into the locker room.

Fifteen minutes later and the match resumes. Goal from Pepe at the 50th minute and Karim at the 61st. The best part was the assist from James on the third goal. I find myself aching to bite at my finger nails as there are only four minutes added to the clock so that Barcelona could miraculously make three goals.

Once the final whistle blew, everyone back in the media room cheered loudly and I clapped just twice.

I headed back out the hall to greet Carlo as he made his way to the press. I congratulate him and he thanks me, then I turn and lock eyes once again with Luis Enrique.

"They did great," I smile as he comes up to me.

"They could've done better," he says sternly.

"Believe me," I start. "You don't have to prove that to anyone."

A smirk grows on his face then the clack of shoes makes Luis turn slightly and walk past me as a group of men reach him. One of last players that comes through the hall is an angry Messi, despair clear on his face and in his walk, I step back as he passes by me with his head down.

"Kat," I hear my name and turn to my right.

Neymar. He jogs up to me and I begin to laugh a little as he tries to keep cool although his exhaustion is evident.

"Masterful goal by the crack that is Neymar," I smile and clap as he shakes his head.

"Yeah, yeah," he let's out. "You're going tonight right?"

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," I joke. "Good game."

I leave him in the hall and begin to walk to the press conference Carlo was probably sat in already. I walk through some double doors and shut my eyes as the flashes from the cameras startle me, even from the side.