Chapter 47 - Editor In Chief

"We'd kill to have you," Rona says.

I explained to her how I've been considering leaving Barcelona.

"I never said I'd go back to Madrid," I state through the phone. "In fact, I'm probably going to head back home to New York."

"Just consider it," she tries to cheer.

"I have your number," I tell her.

"Never hesitate," I can hear her smile. "Editor in Chief."

"Excuse me?" I begin to laugh.

"You heard me, Editor in Chief. That's the position we got lined up for you. Your credentials are through the roof, Kat. The English, the Spanish, the French! We won't have you at a cubicle, head office is what you deserve."

"Isn't that your job?" I ask still amazed.

"We're doing some shifting," she begins to explain. "The company wants me now, not the magazine."

"Congratulations," I start to smile.

I hear the door start to open so I quickly wrap things up.

"I'll call you," I say. "Bye, Rona."

I press the end call button and turn to face a tired Neymar walk in.

"Hey," I smile.

"Papai!" Davi who was once sat in front of me begins to cheer and run up to him.

As tired as he may be Neymar still lifts up Davi and begins to kiss him frantically making the cutest sounding laugh escape from the boy's mouth.

Neymar puts him down soon after and Davi comes running back to me and his toys.

"Hey," Neymar says as he walks over and leaves a kiss on my forehead.

He heads straight to the kitchen to get a drink and I get up and follow.

"I just got off the phone with Rona," I tell him.

"What'd she say?" He asks plainly.

"They're, uh," I start. "Offering me Editor in Chief."

"That's great," Neymar tries to smile.

"I'm not taking it though," I state right after. "I don't want to leave you."

"Kat, I'm not some sort of child or obligation you have to tend to."

"I know, but... us," I gesture.

"Us? Us can't work in two different cities?" Neymar suggests.

"Can we?" I bite my lip.

Ever since our fight that one night we've been super distant, he's been super distant. It's killing me. I don't have feelings for James anymore but Neymar acts like I do and he doesn't want anything to do with me anymore.

"If you want us to," he shrugs.

"Do you not want us to?" I follow him back to the living room.

He sits down without a word and turns on the television. I grab the remote from his side and turn it back off immediately after.

"Do you not want us to?" I repeat myself.

"I'm not doing this in front of my son," Neymar states.

I look down at Davi on the rug and it takes me a second to realize how insensitive I've gotten. I don't even know where I'm standing.

"I'm sorry," I apologize before heading to my room.

I quickly grab my computer and call Noori.

"Hello?" She answers after the first ring.

"Boy, am I glad to hear your voice," I say.

"Katalina!" She cheers. "Guess where I'm at."

"Home?" I guess.

"If only I was exciting," she jokes. "What's up?"

"Everything," I let out a sigh.

I tell her vaguely about Neymar and I because it really isn't anyone's business but I need a shoulder to lean on and since it's usually Neymar, James or any of their friends and I'm left at a standstill in regards to my limited list of friends.

"Do you still want to be in this relationship?" Noori asks.

Without skipping a beat, I answer.

"Of course," I say.

"Make it work, talk," she states.

"If only it was that simple, but I guess I'll try this thing you call talking," I sigh.

"Tell me how it all goes, but for now I best be on my way," she says. "Bye, love."

"Thank you. Bye, Noori."

I hear Neymar come out of Davi's room, meaning he just put him in bed so he can take a nap. I take a minute to gather up my thoughts and compose myself before I step out that door to talk things through with Neymar.

I finally open my door and walk straight down the hall to get to the living room where I knew I'd find Neymar sat once again in front of the television.

"Neymar," I start and stop.

My eyes land on the screen to a photo of James and I in Colombia. A photo featured in a supposed news story about James. About James and his divorce and then it cuts to a photo of Daniela with some other guy in France. The photos are cut short by the reporting of some gossip reporter speaking nonsense about James and I and Daniela.

"Yeah?" Neymar asks, not even turning around to face me, eyes still on the screen even after the segment is gone.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," I mutter under my breath.

Hours later, and without any type of reconciliation with Neymar, I'm sat in front of my computer googling James' name and refreshing the page. My name won't go away. My name next to his. Next to Daniela. Next to Neymar.

I grab at my phone and go to the thread of messages I have with James; spotting eight new ones from him. They've been there for the past several hours but I decided against looking at them until now.

Call me.
We have to talk
Kat, come on
Kat, I know you're mad and I'm truly sorry for what I did but you have to answer me
You've probably seen the news
Kat, please answer me
Kat.
Answer me, Kat.

I hear a knock at my door and I turn to face it.

"I'm going to bed now," Neymar speaks. "Goodnight, love."

I shut my computer and get up and walk over to him.

"We need to talk," I tell him.