Chapter:8

The three of us slept in one bed. It started out where they were in Carson's bed and I was in Matt's. The power went out about midnight causing the heat to kick off mid cycle. The carbon monoxide detector was what woke me up. I had to walk over cold tile to Carson's room and slip in between them.

Matt woke up when my cold feet touched him. He pulled me to him and mumbled something about cold feet. Carson rolled over and jumped when he felt me. He then curled up to my back. "Power must have gone out." He said. I nodded.

When morning hit, Carson was the first to move. "Ok. We sleep in the living room tonight." He said. "Or Ash's room. It has a fireplace." Matt said. "I doubt he would like that." Carson said. "Why not? You and I both know he has a thing for her when she doesn't." Matt said.

"Come on. We need to get a fire started and the tile is freezing." Carson said pulling his boots on. "Then I'm not getting up." Matt said. "Come here angel. I'll take you to get dressed." Carson said picking me up. "It's cold." I mumbled. "Once your dressed better you'll be warmer." He said.

He went into Matt's room and dug around in the drawers pulling out a sweater, and some sweats. Then grabbed my socks off the floor. "Keep these on at night. Your toes will be the first to freeze off." He said. He quickly put them on and left for me to dress. I love wearing Matt's clothes and all, but when I have to roll the waistband and cuffs up it's kind of hard.

"Come on. I was nice enough to bring you clothes." Carson said. "I'm going to get firewood." I went downstairs with my black fur boots on. There was a little wood by the fireplace. I went over to the fireplace starting to build one.

When I was as far as I could get, I went into the chilly kitchen to start some coffee on the gas top stove. I used a lighter left out to start the fire and boiled the water. Then put two tablespoons of ground coffee to it. Then stirred it and left it to gently boil for two minutes. I stood in front of it when Carson came in with wood.

Matt was still upstairs. I turned back to the stove when my timer went off. I took the coffee off the heat and set it aside with a lid on. "Smells like coffee." Matt said coming down the stairs. "Don't know how. Coffee maker doesn't use batteries." Carson said.

"Oh. I think I know." Matt said. He picked me up and held onto me. "Did you brew coffee this morning?" He whispered in my ear. I nodded. He scoffed. "Should take her on a two day trip on the ranch." Matt said. "She knows how to make coffee without electricity?" Carson asked.

"I didn't teach her. But it's probably a good thing she does know how to make coffee like that." Matt said. "Your warm." I muttered. He chuckled. "Might as well fix a quick breakfast too." He said. Carson came to stand behind me. He buried his face in my neck.

"Thank you for making us coffee." He whispered. Their warmth was amazing. "When is Ash supposed to be back?" I asked. "Tonight."Carson answered. "Should we hook the generator up to the house?" Matt asked.

"Should so the house is warm and running. The  hands will be having to sleep in the house tonight." Carson said. Matt set me down between them. "We should get breakfast started. I'd go get some blankets from upstairs Kiki." Matt said. Carson pulled me to his chest.

"There's some upstairs in the hall closet across from the hall bathroom." He said quietly. I nodded. He let me go. I went back into the colder part of the house to get freezing blankets. I grabbed mine from Matt's room and maybe ten other blankets from where Carson told me they were.

I then went back downstairs and to the living room. I set the other ten aside and curled up in front of the fire in my blanket. I warmed up quickly. The smell of the burning wood and the crackle of the fire lulled me. "Keegan." "Hm?" I asked from my warm cocoon.

"Would you like to eat breakfast while Carson and I go hook up the generator?" Matt asked. "It's too cold." I said. Matt chuckled. "Come on. We can leave your blanket in front of the fire so it will be warm when your done eating." He said getting me out of the blanket. "No! It's too cold." I said.

"Then we'll start a fire in the master bedroom too so you can stay in that room if you want." He said. "I'm fine in the living room." I said. He sat me down in a chair that was still warm. With a plate of eggs in front of me. I ate as much as I could before going back to my blanket cocoon.

I kept the fire going for an hour before I heard a clicking sound. Carson came in and stood still. Then winked at me. "Maybe once the generator is warm enough the heating will kick on." He said. I threw another log onto the fire before curling up in the chair I drug closer to the fire.

Lips touched my forehead. "Stay warm." Carson said.