chapter two: Third Quarter Quell

This story Will be taking place at the 75th Hunger Games instead of the 74th
(Y/L/N) = Your Last Name
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Peeta clutches your hand as you walk to the square. Today was reaping day, the last year that you would attend and have a chance at being picked.

"Peeta," you whisper as quietly as possible so as no one can hear, " look over ther's" you say guestering to a crowd of twelve year olds huddled together, "its so cruel that the Capitol sends such young kids into these games. Aren't we punished enough? "

He merely shrugs and agrees. Then his face turns a vibrant shade of red. You shift your gaze to find him staring straight at Katniss Everdeen. How you despised her. She was practically the only thing keeping Peeta from being yours.

You flinch as you feel the tiny needle poke your skin and draw blood. "Oof" no matter how many times it happened, you just couldn't get used to it.

Boys and girls are always separated when it comes to the reaping, so Peeta gives your hand one last reassuring squeeze before parting ways. Flashbacks enter your mind as Effie Trinket, district twelves escort, begins her speech of when President Snow announced what this year's quell would be.

*flashback*
"Ladies and gentlemen," Snow's voice booms, " as you all know, this year is the Third Quarter Quell. " the crowd grows quiet as the deal on a stained yellow envelop is broken and an old piece of parchment is removed. "As a reminder that even those most capable of strength, will always end up perishing along with the rest of you."

What did that mean? You and Peeta sit on the couch in silence. Could it mean that victors were being sent back into the arena? No. They wouldn't do that...right?

You look back over to Peeta and ask, "what was that supposed to mean? Who's going into those wretched games!" You sit in silence for a second before he shutters. " What is it?? "

"They are having the regular tributes sent..... as well as two that we elect."
*end of flashback*

Even the very thought that people that you will be choosing to go into the arena are going to end up dead, still gives you the chills. Only the Capitol is capable of such misery.

Effies long speech finally comes to the end as she begins the reaping with her signature catch phrase, "May the odds be ever in your favor, and as usual, ladies first."

You feel your lower back clench and a shiver run down your spine. You had been fine for five years right? Why shouldn't this year be any different? That's a lie. This year was different since twice as many tributes were being sent into the arena. That makes 48 people that you would have to kill it you were reaped.

Eventually, Effie makes her way over to the bowl of names. She reaches her hand in and, ever so carefully, removes a slip from the pile. "Ahem. Do we have a (Y/N) (Y/L/N)?"

The crowd suddenly parts. The world seems to be spinning, and the ringing in your ears does help. Did she really just call you? It seems as though all of your worst nightmares are coming true. You are being sent into the arena.

Peeta POV

"(Y/N) (Y/L/N)"

You feel as shock takes over your entire figure. This couldn't be happening! You were about to lose your best friend! Nothing seemed more unfair. Now all that you had left were your brothers and parents, and there's no fun in them....

The paralyzing realization of what just happened was still storming through your system as the boys are announced, "For the boys we have..... Peeta Mellark". A path is made as you make your way up to the stage to join (Y/N). At least you'll be able to spend the last weeks with her by your side.

Chapter two done! Sorry they are shorter, I don't have much time and I'm trying to publish at least once a day. If I dont, I'll try to make up for it, but sometimes that just won't happen. Looking forward to writing tomorrow!