chapter eight: gaining some and losing others

Darkness has well surrounded the arena by now. I looked up into the trees to see Rue, the girl from 11. She seemed to be watching Katniss sleep too. What was the deal with everyone's obsession with Katniss? It's not like she was anything special or anything.... Ok. That was a lie; she and I were the first two people to ever score 11s. But besides that.... Nothing...nada...zilch!

I decided to try and contact her by slightly shifting my stance on the Bush i was in. Before I knew it, she was signaling for me to join her in the tree. I Got up to join her, but then remembered the Careers.

"Psst. Cato? Did you here that?"

I think it was Glimmer who had said that...

"Mmph. Glimmer, " So I had been right! "Go back to bed. We'll hunt them in the morning"

A sigh of relief came and I then began to make my way up the tree.
"Rue? How have you survived this long?"

She told me the story, but while she was talking, she wouldn't stop looking back over at Katniss who was now sleeping in the tree. She had come not to find me, but Katniss. Well then, if it meant that the little girl would survive even a day longer, I would help her get to Katniss.

Just as dawn was beginning to show, I heard a slight buzzing. I traded the noise to a hive of tracker jackers. Careful not to wake any of the other tributes, I pointed out the best to Rue, and made my way down the tree.

Gracefully, I turned my gaze to Peeta, millions of thoughts swarming about my mind; only one making an impression: this was goodbye.

*time skip. (Y\N) has been stabbed by the Careers in the shoulder.

I have to keep going, to see his warm smile one last time at least. It's been about a week since I last saw Peeta or Katniss. Maybe that means they are still alive, or even together. Anything that has to do with Katniss is bound to make Peeta happy.

My leg slipped beneath me and I realized I was standing in the river. When had I gotten there? It doesn't matter now, I guess the people from the Capitol will enjoy it watching me fall to my death and drown in the river....

An announcement came on : Tributes of the Third Quarter Quell, there has been a slight, glitch, in the rules. This year, we will be allowing two Victors to take the crown. As long as they are from the same district. That will be the only extra announcement. Thank you.

Aha! Maybe Peeta and I could win together after all!!

" PEETA! " I shouted at the very top of my lungs, leaving my throat feeling like sand paper. I didn't care though. I didn't care who showed up, if I lost my voice, none of it.

It then dawned on me, if Peeta and I were to win, then Katniss and Rye would have to die. Peeta would be heart broken. Maybe I should let one of them live...

Suddenly I heard someone else scream his name too. Oh no. They're not stealing my love again.

It was Katniss.

I raced through the woods as fast as I could. Feeling the sweat drown my neck, I contemplated whether or not to call his name again.

The words had just formed on my tongue when I heard a whisper, "come to finish me off sweetheart?"

The gentle voice belonged to Peeta; Katniss had made it to him first. I felt a lot in my stomach begin to form. Now I've truly lost him for good.

Turning around slowly, I shuffled back into the woods. When were the Careers when you needed them? They'd be able to end my misery without a second glance.

Sunset was beginning to creep up on the evening glow. Feeling numb to all emotions, I ate my dinner, wondering were Rue was at the moment. My thoughts were interrupted by the sudden boom of a canon.

It seems someone else was lucky enough to have the Careers find them. As I think about it, I feel bad for their District partners. Now it means they will either have to win with someone they don't want to win with, or win alone.

The anthem comes booming on just as I am tying myself to the tree i had climbed.

Only two pictures lit up the night sky tonight. Rue and Rye.

My stab would began to bleed excessively while my heart beat went way up. My whole world seemed to crash in one foul swoop. The only other two people that I cared about in this arena, were dead. I would never get to see the bright smile or hear the mockingjay call of Rue. Or taste the savory rye bread that Rye used to help me and Peeta bake in the weekends, or feel his strong arms around me when I needed comforting and Peeta wasn't there....

I should've stayed with them. I should've run straight Rye at the Cornucopia. It was all my fault that they were dead and I wouldn't even get to see the bodies that were once inhabited by them again.

This was the day that I lost my happiness. I lost Rye, Rue, and Peeta. All because I was selfish.

Its in this moment of mourning that I've decided that I will do anything to make sure that Peeta survives. I don't care who with anymore, I've just lost too many people to lose anymore.

Sorry that was kinda crappy. I've been working on it off and on since I published last. My aunt had a baby so I wasn't as productive as I wanted to be. I'll try to post more often, but I have a really long English assignment due soon, so I'll have to work on that and be at least a bit productive. Thanks for over 100 reads! I know that doesn't sound like a lot but when you think about it, state about as many people there are in one grade.... Good bye for now!