Alternate ending

My breath hitched. What had just happened? It couldn't be true... could it?
Katniss had jumped in front of both me and Peeta, shooting the mut with her bow. Peeta screamed at her, "KATNISS, RUN! YOU WERE THE ONE SUPPOSED TO GO HOME. WITH YN... Not me..." By now he was softly crying. With a look of shock on my face, I inch toward Peeta and wrap my arms tightly around his waist.
I feel tears slowly leak from my eyes as I cry into his chest. There was a weird feeling in my chest that I can't quite place. I thought I would be happy to be standing here along side peeta, about to be declared victors, but I'm not. Something is pulling at me, trying to tear me apart.
It's guilt.
I think back to everyone whose death was a result of my actions, to Rue and Rye, to my mother. I had to sit by and watch as all those people died. Not once was I able to save them; I wasn't allowed to save them. So many innocent people died because of me. How could I go on when I had that on my conscience?
I reverted my gaze back to Peeta. He seemed oddly calm; only a stray tear streaked across his cheek. It was strange. The girl on fire had just died in front of our eyes and he showed no emotion. It was as if he was numb.
The boom of the final cannon echoes throughout the stony silence. Together we stand there waiting for what could come next. To be rescued by those who are the very reason we were put into danger in the first place.
There's a squeak that immediately draws my mine and Peeta's attention. "Tributes... the former rule change has been- well, let's say revoked. Only one of you may win the title and honor of victor. Maybe the odds be ever in your favor!"
The words ring in my ears, pounding through my head over and over. I fall to my knees not having the strength to stand.
"yn"
"YN" Peeta is now shaking me, "Yn you have to get up- there has to be some other way" he's now crying, holding me in his arms.
We sit together for awhile-each not wanting the other to let go.
"It was supposed to be our happy ending. We were supposed to finally be free of the capitol's grasp. But now they've gone and taken away their promise changed the rules to their game. Well guess what. I'm done playing." I reach into my pocket and grab a few of the night lock berries that Katniss picked. Looking back at Peeta, I whisper into his ear so only he can hear, "go home. Your family needs you. They can't afford to lose two children to that monster." He only shakes his head in disagreement. About to say something else, he puts a finger to my lips and grabs one of the berries from my hand.
"Yn. You're my family. If I leave you here, then I will never leave this place. If one of us has to go, then we'll go together." I nod. "together"
We both lift our hands to our mouths before we are stopped by a very alarmed Caesar Flickerman. "StOp!!! nO- LADIES AND GENTLEMAN IT LOOKS LIKE WE HAVD FOUND THE VICTORS OF THE 3rd QUARTER QUELL!" His voice makes me sick to my stomach. It reminds me of Snow, the man who killed my mother and a few seconds ago tried to have Peeta and I kill each other for entertainment. Snow is a man who truly deserves the sun. Cause what does heat do to snow?
It melts it.
I bare my teeth and move so I'm closer to Peeta. He wraps his arms protectively around me. He knows that in this moment, our lives will change. The berries have caused something that we do not yet know of. Our lives will never be the same, For better or for worse, no one knows. We've reached the end of the line. The only placed I've dreamed of being for who knows how long. But right now it seems more like a nightmare.
"Together?" Peeta asks.
"Together"
Time to watch my world catch fire.

Hey y'all!! It's been literally forever. I know that I said I would give an alternative ending so here it is! Sorry it is way over due. I kinda got writers block for a while then had life issues... but I'm back now! This will probably be the last chapter I write for this book, but if you guys want a sequel or something, I'd be more than happy to look into it! Feel free to comment what you thought and your ideas for a sequel. Happy quarantining
MJ