chaper six: heart breaking happiness

Rye joined us as Caesar called out for Peeta to join him.

Caesar: now I welcome last but not least, Peeta Mellark!

Peeta walked onto the stage,

Peeta: Tell me Caesar, do I by chance smell like white roses?

The proceeded to talk about the Capitol for a minute or so before Caesar continued the interview.

Caesar: is there anyone special back at home?

Peeta: uh no

Wait a second. Did I not count as special to him? I've not only known him majority of his life, I'm also the one who would spend the night with him when he was sad and stay up for hours baking and watching movies with him. It felt as though my heart was being ripped to shreds with every word that came out of his mouth. Maybe I was just a piece in some larger game, a queen abandoned by her king.

Caesar: oh I don't believe that for a second! With a face like yours...

Peeta: well there is this one girl

Caesar: oh? Do tell us

Peeta: I've had a crush on her forever, but never had the courage to tell her. I don't think she would ever go out with me or anything like that. And besides, she deserves to be loved by someone who can actually be there for her...

The tears now threatened to spill as I look over towards Katniss. He truly, and undeniably loved her.

Caesar: well. I'll tell you what: you win these games, go back home to her and ask her out. She can't say no to you then, now can she folks?

He looked into the crowd and got a thundering applause.

Peeta: I don't think it's going to end up working that way. Winning... Won't help in my case

I saw his eyes droop down and a single year drop slowly down to the floor. He let a heartbreaking gulp escape. No. Not here. Not now. It was not the time to show weakness. Not if He was going to be the one to make it out of the arena alive, as victor.

Caesar:  why ever not?

He leaned in closer. It was pathetic. All these people, gathered here to show support for the tributes; act like they knew them and wanted to get to know them. When in actuality they couldn't wait for the moment when they would watch us die. Utterly pathetic.

Peeta: because....

I saw him swallow and look directly into the camera. What? What Peeta?

Peeta: because she came here with me

That last scene always gets me choked up.... The next part will be at the beginning of the games. I'm this version, the tributes weren't allowed to see each other after the interviews, so no one knows which of the tributes Peeta was talking about, not even the tributes themselves. Bye!
Ps. Some parts are quoted, I don't own them!