chapter tweleve: the whole world on fire

Back to normal! P.S. If you noticed, (y

) has been doing weird things when I type it, so now it's just going to be "yn".

A soft crackling noise came from the tree that Peeta and I had stayed the night in. The noise wasn't here in its own though, there was also a slight burning smell. Was someone cooking something? No.... Everyone was dead and Katniss would never cook something in broad daylight even with all the other tributes gone.

It was fire.

"Quick" I gasped, "Peeta... We have to run!"

when he didn't wake, I shook him as hard as I could. I couldn't let him die.

"Yn, what was pleasant greeting. You could have just.... Wha.... Is that fire???" Peeta said .

"Yes! Please, we have to go," through tears from smoke and sadness, " I can't bare to lose you again. Not to the Capitol.. I won't let you get hurt"

We had begun to run now when he leaned over, placed his hand along my jawline, and said "the day you hurt me, is the day I fail you" and kissed me full on while we were running. And I was stupid enough to believe him.

Finally, I had gotten the happy ending that I wanted, as well as an even happier beginning. Peeta and I got to win together, and I didn't have to worry about Katniss in the end. I know it seemed selfish, but he had no clue how much I loved him and how much she didn't.

Our running took us to the pond where Katniss had told Peeta about. "Peeta" I panted, "where..... Where to now? We both know Katniss will survive as long as she's alone... One of us is going to have to-" he cut me off. "No, I'm sorry. I just can't go and do that to her. You know better than anyone how I felt about her..." . Ouch. What was that he had said earlier? Oh yeah, "undeniably you". I rolled my eyes and leaned down to gulp in the water.

Staring back at me was my reflection, but it was shaking. What? Was something causing it or was the water always that way in the arena? Wait.... It stopped.

" hey Pe-" crap. Muts. They came at us like a teenage girl would go to chocolate after being forever alone on a holiday known as "Valentines Day". They were large beasts, almost wolf like. Some were tan, while others were midnight black. Almost all the eyes resembled something that I had seen before. What was it...

" RUN!!! " Peeta opened his mouth to ask why and then saw the muts and ran off faster than I had ever seen someone run. It was as if my lungs had caught fire along with the forest. My breathing had become so patchy that I had to stop for a split second to be able to force any air into my lungs.

By this point, the chilling growls had ceased to reach my comprehension due to the crippling fear of what the muts might do to us. Ever but of my being throbbed as if I had just been thrown against the wall and told to except my total, undeniable, imminent death. I heard a scream from behind us and saw Katniss. Looks like this was the Capitol's way of getting us together in order to meet our ends as brutally as possible.

The light reflected off of a large structure in the distance. If course! The cornucopia! "We have to make it in too of the cornucopia! They shouldn't be able to reach us from up there" both Katniss and Peeta followed my instructions without questioning. By the time we reached it, the muts had nearly caught up with us.

We all began to climb, the hot metal burning our hands as we went. It was as if you could hear the best radiating off the burning surface. Once we got up, Peeta handed me something. He placed his hand in mine and slid something on my finger. It was Clove's ring. My eyes began to swell. He wouldn't have given it to me if he knew that it wasn't meant to be given until the future.

"No" I shook my head. Warm, salty tears threatening to spill. "I won't let you" I grabbed his hand and held it to my heart. Hoping he would hear the soft drum of its beat. His eyes were just as red as mine, but I saw no tears in his eyes.

All of a sudden, there was a loud bang. The muts has arrived. One of us let out a shriek, the muts had the eyes of our fellow fallen tributes. That means.... "No..." I whispered so the others wouldn't hear me, "Cato.... I'm so sorry. I should've tried harder to keep you and Clove alive. You two deserved to win together. You'd make great victors. Peeta, we're going to win, and maybe one day get married. I promise that I won't forget you" I was now staring into what looked exactly like his eyes, "I promise" and let the string of the now snap. The arrow launched directly into his heart, leaving it broken.

The first wave had been killed, leaving us to fear who would come next. Rue? Rye? Clove? I didn't want to think of the possibilities. Katniss was starting to get very touchy with Peeta, which made me mad. "Hey Katniss?" I attempted to start a conversation calmly. "Hm?" She responded with a nod. " Peeta, Peeta and I..... I think we're going to get married. " she gasped and then remained silent until more muts came.

We were stuck on top of the Cornucopia all night long and much into the morning. We were so tired.... Rye's appearance was very devastating. The most in fact. Peeta's face was still stained with tears by the time the last one came. This one was Thresh. All big, and muscular. How were we going to beat him?

The look on Peeta's eyes said it all.

Mwahahaha! A cliff hanger! Stay tuned.... I don't really know when the next part is coming out, a new quarter just started and I don't know how much homework I'll have, but I'll try to write. This book will most likely only contain two more chapters. If anyone has an idea for a sequel or prequel or something like that, I'm open to ideas and would love to write more. Goodbye for now! -mj