chapter 13: goodbye

"Noooo" I sobbed, "you can't.... Please" the last part was barely a whisper. "Please" hot tears now flowed down my face like a river down a mountain. "I've lost too much to see you go too..." Snot is now inching its way down my nose and lip. I wipe it away with the sleeve of my uniform. This uniform has been through a lot. Losing Peeta, Gaining him and many others, losing my mother, watching my world catch fire. The memories of Rue and Rye break my heart in two and cause me to cry even harder. I never intended to win, but it seems like Peeta intended me to. From what is could tell, after the death of His brother, he didn't really want to go on. Who can blame him? I didn't want to either.

His plan was to kill the mut from.... from The inside. Stab a knife into the back of its throat. If he succeeded, Katniss and I would be declared Victors. Free to go home and live out of reach of the Capitol's grasp for the rest of our lives. And Peeta..... He would see his brother again. I looked into the eyes of the mut one last time. They were an amber brown, glittering as the sun hit them. It was hard to imagine that these eyes once belonged to a man who was willing to die for Rue, but never got the chance. The eyes of a man who was killed at the fault of no other tribute, but the Capitol. The cruel, selfish Capitol. They put children in these games to kill each other for their entertainment and expect us to join in the "fun". Do they even realize how many families they have destroyed? My attention is directed back to Peeta. My gaze taking in every inch of his presence, the last time I would ever see him again.

He turned to look me in the eyes and said, "I love you. I know that you don't want this to happen, but Katniss needs to go back to Prim, and I can't have your death on my conscience. If you died, and I lived, there would be nothing left for me. I would never be happy again. But you, you have a chance at creating a whole new life. Me, I wouldn't last a day without you, you're stronger. I'm sorry.... I will always love you. Okay?"

I twisted the ring on my finger and replied with a forced "okay". What else could I do? I could barely speak as it was. Katniss showed me the first sign of affection since we met, she wrapped her arms around me and wept along side me. My eyes stung as the salty water spilled out from my eyes. I could cry an entire oceans worth of tears and not come close to feeling okay. An idea clicked in my mind. Quickly, I grabbed a quiver of arrows and removed only one. Katniss handed me a nightlock berry from her pocket, and I placed it on the tip.

Peeta deserves to be happy, and I don't care if he thought anything else. He deserves better, and Katniss can give it to him. I take a deep breath in, and then release. My eyes flicker open and I run to the tail of the Cornucopia, shoving Peeta out of my way as I run. I dive head first into the large mouth of the Mut with the eyes of Thresh.

Deep breath in

Exhale out

My last breath of fresh air. It seemed almost sweet. Something that I had never cared to pay attention to during the other parts of my life. Screaming can be heard in the background, but I pay no mind. My last thought is I'm sorry, my boy with the bread. I pray that he will be able to find love with Katniss in the future, but then again, the past was once the future too.

and with that dying breath, my arrow pierces the throat of the Capitol's creation. I watched the berry split open and the juices trickled down the slimy tube. Within seconds, the beast is dead, but not without making one final effort and stabbing me through the heart with its razor sharp claw. I'm alive only long enough to hear two things: my cannon booming, and Peeta's final "I love you, see you soon". Looking up into the bright colors of the beautiful sky for the last time, it all goes dark. My mind goes blank, and all is silent.

There is going to be an epilogue, but this is where this story ends officially. You might be wondering what happens in the end for Peeta and Katniss, and I'll tell you in a very generalized sequel. Thanks so much for reading this!!! I started another book out of boredom that consists of different prompts and how I would use them.... Mainly for me, but I would be thrilled if you read them! Goodbye for now, MJ