chapter 7 : a start of something...

The platform began to rise as the glass tube i was in remained still. This was it, the beginning of the rest of my life. I had no chance of winning and that we final.

What had Haymitch said? Ah, that's right. Stay alive. How much that helped now. How was i supposed to do that if the only man I had ever loved just told the entire country that he loved another woman... How love sucked.

By this time, the platform has risen and I began to hear the tip tap of the timer, slowly ticking downwards to my demise.

I looked around and saw only twenty of the other tributes, of which at least one would have to meet their end in my grasp. The thought was enough to make your spine shiver. Ending someone's life was like dragging someone's  weight up a mountain and then for the rest of your life, never being able to get rid of it.

10...

That was it. My end was near, I knew it.

9

8

I'd be lucky to even survive the bloodbath

7

6

What thoughts were running through Peetas head?

5

Probably thoughts of Katniss, she was all he seemed to think about...

4

A croak escaped my throat as I finally realized, the last time I will have ever seen Peeta was probably the day of the interviews.

3

2

1

why did it have to be us. I could have at least told him The truth when I could've...

The timer went off and it felt like my ear drums had been shot.
I know Haymitch said not to go to the cornucopia, but if it meant i got to see one Peeta, who was now running in the opposite direction, one last time then it would be worth it.

I sprinted as fast as I could to the mouth of the cornucopia and grabbed a bow and arrow. I had to fight the girl from one, Glimmer, for it, but I'm sure it will come in handy.

Staying near the Cornucopia would mean almost certain death, considering the fact that the bloodbath was now in full forces.

Turning around, I shot towards the woods. Just before I made it to the borders, it felt something graze the back of my neck. It was a blade. Quickly, I spun around to see Clove lining up another shot. Swiftly I drew and arrow. Pulling the string back just enough to reach my nose, I let go. A snap of the bow sent the arrow flying, not to Clove, but the disabled boy from 4.

He was my first kill.

The first blood to spill at the fault of my hands.

Clove came chasing after me, but began to run the opposite direction when she saw Cato helping Glimmer. Looks like Caesar would get his love story after all...

My blood ran cold as beads of sweat trickled down my neck and into my spine. Breathing heavily, I continued to run as fast as I could possibly go. I thought about looping around the edge of the forest try to find Peeta, but evidently decided against it.

That's when I hear it, the first cannon.

BOOM

Was it the boy i had killed from four?

Another cannon

"Ok" i thought... "That one couldn't have been caused by me"

Three more cannons were shot while I was running. It seemed as though I had been running for hours, and I probably had been.

Shining brightly above, the sun suggested it was about two in the afternoon. They games had started at about 10 o'clock, meaning it has been four hours. The first four hours of my endgame.

Eventually, I had slowed to a walk and began to find some sort of source of water. As I rotated 360°, I saw nothing but a vast emptiness of deep green trees and bright bushes full of berries. Those could be used at food right? Now the only question was which ones were edible and which ones weren't.

While listening to the quiet crunching of leaves underneath the soft, foot fitting, leather of my boots, I heard something mysterious. It almost sounded as if it were a mix between a crackle and a pop. Along with it came a snapping noise... I walked stealthily over the the source, creeping behind some bushes so I wouldn't be seen. I peered through a hole near the bottom of one of them, pulling an arrow out of the quiver just in case.

What I saw could not have surprised me more, it was (rice crispies ;p) the career pack. They had risked lighting a fire during the latest afternoon and gotten spotted by me, only they didn't know that I was there. And I had to keep it that way!

Beginning to slither away, I noticed someone who was among them, Peeta. He was staring up into the trees. I shifted my gaze only to see that he was staring at a sleeping Katniss. Well frick. What was he doing with them?? Why was Katniss in a tree?

After contemplating my very reason for existence for a good ten minutes, I saw something up in the tree, as well as someone else in the one above me

Haha! I've gotten a bit more free time and more ideas, so I'm super excited to share them! Goodbye for now!