thirty nine

so, how are ya'll doing with the last quote?

Chapter 39

Three years later...

Eunmi looked at the door that just opened. It was already 7 in the evening, and Mark just arrived at their house.

She smiled, "Oh you're here. Hi, love." She greeted.

Mark just gave her a faint smile and sat on the couch. He lied down without changing his uniform and covered his eyes using his arm. Eunmi just watched him from a far.

Mark has been acting weird for the past two weeks, and she has no idea why. She just thinks that things became harder to deal with since they were already in college.

She sat beside Mark and gave him a worried look. "Is everything alright?" She asked.

He just hummed as a response.

Their conversations were like that for the past two weeks, and Eunmi doesn't want to admit it, but she's kinda used to it. She would sometimes ask her questions— yes or no questions, for that matter, in which she would gladly answer.

"Mark, it doesn't seem like everything's fine... is something bothering you? Didn't I—"

"I said I'm fine." Mark stood up and went towards their shared room, slamming the door shut.

Eunmi just watched the door that closed. She just stared at the blank wall as her tears were threatening to fall, while silently wondering why she couldn't do anything at all.

She went inside their room while covering her mouth, not letting her sobs be heard. She carefully lied down beside Mark, who was already sleeping, and faced the wall beside her.

***

It was Wednesday, and Eunmi has no classes.

Eunmi went downstairs only to be greeted by the scend of freshly made waffles. She sighed, knowing that her brother was there.

Jaehyun usually visits their house every Wednesday, since it was also his day off.

"Good morning, Jaehyun-oppa..." She greeted and sat on one of the chairs.

Jaehyun looked at her and placed a mug of coffee in front of her. "Good— did you cry? Why are your eyes swollen?"

Eunmi immediately shook her head as she tried to avert her gaze.

Jaehyun placed his hands on the table, creating a loud thud.
"Yah, did Mark make you cry?!"

She shook her head, "N-No... I was just up all night doing some researches..."

"Researches on what?" Jaehyun raised a brow, and judging by the tone of his voice, he sounded like he wasn't buying any of Eunmi's craps at all.

"Y-You know... d-defense..."

Jaehyun sighed, she's really a sly liar. "My dear sister, it's still October... your defense is scheduled on February..."

Eunmi looked down and sighed.

"Fine, it's alright if you don't want to tell me... I'll still know it one way or another..." Jaehyun just nodded. His eyes landed on a nearby calendar and grinned. "It's your birthday tomorrow... what are your plans?"