o22: Start the Car and take Me Home

The corridors in Hogwarts School or Witchcraft and Wizardry were nearly empty. The sound of Peeves shooting peas at younger years—that were spending their holiday in the castle—was all that could be heard. Melissa was in the girls’ dormitory, gathering her things. Her hair was pulled back into a messy excuse of a ponytail and her black boots were covering the bottoms of her jeans. Tiny beads of sweat trailed down her temple, even though she was wearing a simple black tank-top.

“Has anyone seen my pink hat?” Tracey Davis called out and she looked once more under her bed.

“Here it is,” Cassie called as she pulled the hat off the furnace railing and tossed it to her.

Melissa had everything packed up tightly, most of her clothes thrown about messily in the black trunk. As she walked around the trunk she knocked into it lightly and a small black leather box fell out. The initials AGV were casted on with brilliant gold scripted lettering. A small gold bracelet with a small gold key hanging off it jingled inside as the box dropped to the floor. Melissa picked it up and tossed it back into the trunk nonchalantly. She jumped up, sitting on the trunk, and latched it once in finally shut. All of her belongings were in the trunk, save for a Hogwarts sweatshirt on her bed that she planned on wearing. Melissa slipped on the sweatshirt and walked down the stairs into the common room, a cheerful smile on her face. She couldn’t wait to go back home and see her family, especially Brayden. Apparently, he was having quite a difficult time at school.

Melissa sat on the black leather couch, trying to warm herself by the fire side. The couch sifted lightly and out of the corner of her eyes Melissa caught a glimpse of whie-blonde hair. She smiled a little and leaned back into him.

“Have you got a dress yet?” Draco asked with a sense of urgency.

“No, I told you I’d get one once I was home,” said Melissa and looked at him with a slightly annoyed face. They’d been over and dress situation countless times and he still never seem to understand what she said to him.

He reached into his pocket and put a small puch in her lap that sounded as though it were filled to the brim with coins. Melissa opened the bag slowly and shook her head, partly in anger. The bag was filled with Galleons. She closed the pouch back up and then handed it back to him.

“I don’t need your ruddy money, Draco.” She snapped, insulted by his actions.

“I wasn’t asking. You need to look good.” He said and put the money back in her lap.

“Oh, so I don’t look good now?” Melissa exclaimed and just about threw the sac at him. It hit him lightly in the chest and fell on to his lap. Melissa got up in a huff and walked back up to the girls’ dormitory.

“What’d he say?” Cassie asked when she saw Melissa’s face.

“That I had to look good at the ball, as if I don’t look good!” Melissa exclaimed and sat on Cassie’s bed.

“You don’t have the best taste, darling.” Cassie said with a shrug and Melissa glared at her, growling lightly. “I will help you.” She said and sat next to Melissa, putting a comforting arm around her heavy shoulders. Melissa shook her head and lay back on the back, closing her eyes to relax. All she could think of was home and her nice warm bed.