o46: Fading into the Veil [FINAL]

Andrea cleaned up the white marble counter from dinner, Kevin and Brayden had made pizza for her and then left her with an awful mess to pick up. Sauce splattered all about the white counter; cheese covering the floor as much as it had the pizza and dough stuck to the bottom of the cabinet.

Her husband and son began dressing in the entry room, getting ready for an evening out at the theatre, and ice cream afterward at the request of Brayden. As Andrea put the last of the sauce stained dishes into the sink, she poured herself a cup of coffee and headed to the entry room, but she didn't make it there for her hazel eyes had glanced up at the clock that Melissa had given her for Christmas. Terror and dread filled Andrea as the black and white cup that read, World's Best Mum, she held shattered onto the ground—pieces of clay shooting out everywhere and one cutting her legs—her eyes widening with horror.

The silver hand of the clock that read Melissa had moved from SCHOOL where it normally sat. Kalvin ran out into the family room so see what had happened and froze when he saw the clock as well. His eyes soon matched Andrea's and his hand found her's, squeezing it tightly. Tears of fear began flowing down Andrea's sorrow-stricken face, splashing onto the dark wooden floors as they left her once rosy cheeks.

Their daughter's hand rested firmly on MORTAL PERIL.

                                                                                     * * *

Melissa stepped out into the empty atrium of the Ministry, a small smile growing across her grim face. A time of cheer and jolly filled her mind as she closed her eyes. The atrium inside her head was decorated for New Years, and she was dancing happily with a boy she'd fallen hard for. Harry touched her shoulder and all of the joy was quickly sucked from her, leaving her empty and cold.

They followed Harry past the large gold fountain and the empty security desk, a feeling of foreboding washing over Melissa's body. The empty atrium was a scene only in a horror movie, and Melissa's grip on her wand tightened as they walked into the lift. Melissa pulled Luna close to herself, her breathing slow and study though her heart was racing franticly. The lift made a ruckus as it descended. Melissa had her wand at the ready when they reached the Department of Mysteries, sure they would be met by security guards, though no one was there.

"Something's not right," said Melissa, taking a tight hold of Luna's arm. Harry led the way down the corridor, Luna looking around the department in awe. They followed Harry through a plain black door, only to find a room with doors on every inch of the wall.

"I hope you know what door it is, Potter." Melissa said as Neville shut the door. As soon as she did the walls began to move so they wouldn't know which door they came through. They began opening doors, searching for the one Harry had seen in his dreams. The second door they looked through held a large stone arch way with a tantalizing black veil swaying in it. Melissa could hear whispers and murmurs coming from the veil but tried not to listen.

"I can hear them to," Luna said and Melissa grabbed her arm, pulling her sharply away from the stone archway and shoved her lightly toward the door. Hermione began barking angrily at Harry, but the boy was hardly listening. Melissa took hold of his arm and pulled him away while Hermione reminded him of why they were there. They walked back into the circular room and the wall shifted again. Harry pushed opened the next door and excitement filled his being, having found the room he was looking for. They followed him through the room and into the next doorway. The room was cold with high cathedral ceilings filled with bookshelves that had hundreds of crystal balls rested upon them. Melissa tightened her grip on her wand and took hold of Luna's hand, tightly.

Once they reached the proper aisle harry began searching for Sirius, getting to the spot where the man should be. However, he was not there. Melissa's heart began to pound roughly as she looked around the room cautiously. Ron showed harry an orb with his name around while Melissa looked around the aisles for a sign of life anywhere, after warning Neville if he let go of Luna's hand she's murdered if violently.