o36: My Mother's Breath

Defense Against the Dark Arts class was spent copying over text from the book, and then copying it over again so they wouldn't forget it. Melissa began drawing rude pictures of Umbridge instead of writing the lines. Draco would occasionally glance over and disapprovingly shake his head, though she didn't care much. The rest of their classes went by just as slowly, Melissa dozing off every couple minutes and playing unrelated games with Cassie—occasionally Tracey Davis would join in. By the end of classes Melissa was ready to be done with the entire day. The amount of homework they had to do was piling up quite quickly, often causing Melissa and Cassie to be up at all hours of the night. However, the girls in the dormitory had taken to working on everything together, which did make things go by quicker.

"I cannot wait for this year to be over." Tracey Davis said as she, Cassie, and Melissa sat down at the Slytherin table—all looking as though they hadn't slept in weeks.

"Next year won't be any easier." Cassie said gloomily, putting her tired face into her manicured hands.

"Oh I'm sure it'll get better." Melissa said as the three of them started to eat their dinner. "Umbridge should be gone by then, so there's a plus." She added with a smile.

"What do you mean?" Tracey asked.

"Defense teachers only ever last a year ever since Potter got here. They all end up trying to kill him." Melissa said with a shrug and Cassie smiled happily, finding it funny at the amount of professors that had tried to kill the Gryffindor boy.

"Cassie," Melissa snapped, shaking her head and disapproval. "That's not a good thing."

"Well, it's not exactly a bad thing either, Missy. That boy is a git and a menace. The school'd be better to be off with him." Cassie said firmly with a nod.

"Please, don't hold back, and tell us how you really feel," said Melissa sarcastically and Tracey snickered as Cassie shot Melissa a cold look.

"Potter's made a mess of this place, year after year," Cassie defended.

"It's not exactly been his choice." Melissa laughed, finding Cassie to be utterly ridiculous.

"Do you fancy the boy or something?" Cassie spat as Draco joined them, to which his eyes coldly fell upon Melissa though she easily ignored it.

"No, I agree that he's a git and arrogant and unfathomably thick, but it's not like he's running about making a muck of everything by choice." Melissa said shaking her head.

"Talking about Potty?" Draco asked as he gathered food onto his golden plate, Crabbe and Goyle sitting opposite him—heaping massive amounts of food onto their plates.