o43: Sound Resolution

Easter break had come and gone, with Melissa spending most of her time in detention or in the library with Tracey and Declan. She’d managed to keep her nose down, and keep away from Draco and Pansy. Still, Draco seemed to always show up at the worst of times. She did her best to keep her minds on their exams, which were only weeks away. The closing feeling of doom had overtaken the fifth years. Pamphlets with information on numerous careers in the wizarding world had appeared on the tables in the Slytherin common room, along with a large notice about career advice that will be given by the head of their house.

Melissa looked down the list, finding her name on the list. She was to meet with Professor Snape at half past one, during Defense Against the Dark Arts, which she was more than thankful for. So, she grabbed a couple of the pamphlets and sat in the corner of the common room, reading them over.

“What do you think you’d like to be?” Tracey asked as she and Declan took seats near her.

“I dunno, never given it much though.” Melissa said with a shrug.

“I’d like to be a Curse Breaker,” she said, grabbing the pamphlet from Melissa. “It’s what my mum and dad do.” She said, flipping through it.

“I think I’d like to work with dragons.” Declan said with a smile as Derek sat beside Melissa.

“Ah, career advice already?” he asked, sneaking an arm around Melissa as she read through the pamphlets. She began to wonder if she even wanted a job in the wizarding world. This year had been so terribly unfair and horrid, she didn’t even know if she wanted to return to Hogwarts. What with Umbridge here, the school would only get worse, and Melissa couldn’t take much more.

“I remember that,” Derek said, shaking his head. “Snape’s a bit harsh.”

“Isn’t he always?” Melissa asked and Tracey snickered lightly.

“What did you say?” Declan asked Derek, as he flipped through a couple more pamphlet.

“I want to work for the Department of Magical Sports and Games.” Derek said with a reminiscing smile, staring off into nothingness. Melissa looked where he was staring and then waved her hand in front of his face. Smiling, he looked down at her in such a way that she couldn’t help but smile back up at him.

Eventually, they made their way up to the Great Hall, Melissa receiving the occasionally nasty glare from a Slytherin, but she’d begun to stop noticing just about everything they did. The hype would die down soon enough, or at least she had convinced herself of that. Breakfast went smoothly, Tracey and Melissa proceeded to try and throw grapes into each other’s mouths while Derek and Declan continued their conversation about Career Advice.

Defense Against the Dark Arts started and Melissa quickly, and happily, headed to Snape’s office, a skip in her step. As she reached the door, she knocked on it lightly. The black wooden door opened quickly revealing Cassie’s angry red face, her hair thrown all about into a hair tie and her cheeks swollen from crying. The two stood staring at each other for a moment, Cassie’s face was flustered and Melissa looked at her with no emotion. The time when Melissa would hug the breaking blonde had come and gone and it was her own fault. Cassie huffed miserably and quickly strode down the dungeon corridor, whimpering sadly. Melissa walked into the office and shut the door behind her.

“Sit,” said Snape and Melissa did as she was told. The chair was cold and uncomfortable, as was everything in his dreary office.

“I see your marks in Herbology are less than acceptable.” He said, flipping through everything the other professors had on her. “Improving in Charms, acceptable grades in other subjects, exceeding in Transfiguration and Defense Against the Dark Arts, to Professor Umbridge’s greatest displeasure,” said Snape, Melissa swearing she saw a slight smirk at his last statement.

“What are your career plans?” he asked as though Melissa should have her whole life planned out already.

“Well,” said Melissa and tried to think of something. “I have no idea.” She said honestly after thinking for a short couple seconds.

“Of course you don’t know,” said Snape, resentfully, and Melissa looked down at her feet. Snape began to name options Melissa might have, and none of them sounded all too appealing to her. Snape glared menacingly at her and bit her lip, giving him a halfhearted apologetic look.

“I always thought I’d be at my mum’s bake shop.” Melissa said with a shrug.

“Then why are you wasting my time, and Hogwarts time of teaching you skills you’ll need for a magical job if you plan on living in the muggle world.” Snape snapped harshly out of anger and Melissa looked up at him, having an epiphany.

“Well, I thought I had to be here but that is a very good point, sir.” Melissa said and stood up. “I’m sorry for having wasted your time.” She said and left the office, Snape watching her leave indifferently. She walked around the castle until her Defense class was over, her mood was too good and avoiding Umbridge was the best way to keep her happy. The words Snape had spoken to her still rang loudly in her head. If she didn’t plan on having a career in the wizarding world what was the point of being at Hogwarts. Staying home would make her mother happy, Brayden happy and she wouldn’t have to deal with the chaotic ventures that the magical castle brought year after year. Though the argument was mute in her sound mind, the idea wretched her heart as it fluttered nervously. Hogwarts was a home that’d she’d found comfort in for many years. She’d met her friends her, and professors that she owed a lot to.

Melissa looked down at her arm. The phrase, I must behave, carved into her ivory skin.