o45: Until the Bitter End

Once out of the examination Melissa began searching the castle for Harry. What happened in the exam had been no coincidence and she needed to know what was wrong, she wanted to help. However, she couldn't find him anywhere. She ran to the Infirmary and froze when she realized McGonagall was no longer there.

"They took her to St. Mungoes dear," said Madam Pomfrey upon seeing Melissa and her heart fell, as tears gathered in her eyes. "She'll be alright; they'll fix her there." She said, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"If you hear she's getting better, can you just,"

"Of course," Madam Pomfrey said with a soft smile and Melissa took off again. As she searched through the castle she saw Ginny and Luna enter a room. Melissa stood outside the room, listening to them talk. Sirius was in trouble. As little as she knew the man, he meant a great deal with her mother. He would have been a part of her family had her aunt not been murdered. Hermione began speaking about keeping students away, and particularly Slytherins, and Melissa opened the door.

"I believe I can help in that department." She said coolly with a small smirk.

"We don't have time for this!" Harry yelled angrily.

"I don't trust her." Ron said, looking Melissa over.

"Look, I helped Harry and risked my entire social life. I'm good in a duel, plus Sirius means something to my family as well." She said softly and Harry eyes her angrily, judging.

"None of you have to like me, cause I, quite frankly, don't like any of you, aside from Luna that is, but I've never shown myself to be untrustworthy." Melissa spat, glancing at Luna who was smiling proudly at her. "Plus, I have a promise I need to keep."

"Fine," Hermione said quickly and began talking about what the plan was. Harry left the room in an angry rush and Melissa followed the Gryffindors—keeping Luna close to her—towards the corridor where Umbridge's office laid.

"Alright, try to get the students out," Hermione said and Melissa stood up.

"You two go that way, I'll take this end." Melissa said and turned her back on them, yelling rudely at about a Weasley bomb that was about to explode, which made the students leave quickly, a couple snickering in fondness of the twins. The corridor cleared out quickly and then Harry and Hermione headed into the office while the three girls waited in the corridor, watching for students and mainly Umbridge. Minutes passed and Melissa turned to look back at Luna and Ginny as a hand went over her mouth and her hair was roughly pulled backward. She slammed her foot hard on the ground and Luna turned around, grabbing Ginny's arm. As they did two Slytherins grabbed them from behind. Melissa fought with all her might but it was no use as her hair was pulled back further. She looked up and her eyes widened in terror to see Derek. Her heart dropped and she felt as though she were going to be sick. Umbridge came around the corner with the rest of the Inquisitorial Squad and walked into the office quickly, a proud and intent gleam in her eyes.

A gag was put into her mouth, along with everyone else and to Melissa's surprise Neville had appeared in the hallway, attempting to keep Warrington from taking Ginny. Derek grabbed her arm tightly and pushed her toward the door, shoving her through the entrance and she fell, hitting her wounded leg. She winced in pain and looked around the room. She was lifted up by Draco and he shoved her violently over to the corner where he was.

"You did this to yourself," hissed Draco, glaring angrily at her and she rolled her eyes trying to think of what to do. Umbridge sent Draco to fetch Snape and Pansy took hold of Melissa with glee. She glared at the pug of a girl and she hit her across the face with all the might she could muster. Melissa slowly turned her head back towards the girl, who had just signed her own death wish in Melissa's mind.