o31: Blacked Out Files

The chains under the Hogwarts Express began to rattle and clank as the train began to slow down. Darkness was slowly creeping over the horizon of the Forbidden Forest. Melissa had locked herself in an empty compartment, looking over her files furiously, her face heated with rage and disappointment. The file labeled MELISSA SKYLAR PENBROOKE was filled with everything she already knew. Her parents were listed as Kalvin and Andrea Penbrooke (Muggles) and Brayden Penbrooke (Wizard), their new dog had even been added. Their address was clearly stated, her grades in school, everything was there. In bold red letters at the bottom read ADOPTED and underneath in small, almost indecipherable, letters BIRTH NAME: ARIANI VLADIMIRESCU. The next file Velo had taken was labeled ARIANI DACIANA VLADIMIRESCU. However, that was all she knew for the rest of the information had been blacked out, save for the name Dracul Gavril Vladimirescu.

In utter frustration, Melissa threw the files across the compartment. As the papers hit the floor, they quickly flew back into their respective files. She growled in sheer rage at the files and picked them up, stuffing them violently back into her bag as the train came to a stop. She looked out the window, still glaring, to see Hogwarts lit up as it was every time they arrived at the school. Melissa opened the door of her compartment and walked out, nonchalantly, making sure neither Cassie nor Draco were around to see her. As she stepped onto the platform a bitter voice yelled, “Melissa!” She turned around reluctantly to see Cassie running towards her.

“Where were you? I had to sit with bloody Pansy Parkinson!” Cassie exclaimed, glaring harshly at Melissa.

“I had stuffed I needed to do.” Melissa said with a shrug as the two of them headed over to the carriages.

“Like what?!”

“Just drop it Cassie! It’s none of your ruddy business!” Melissa yelled, frustrated with Cassie’s uncalled for anger. Cassie was a little taken back, and stopped her pestering, snarling bitterly under her breath. They got into the carriage silently and sat down, Cassie slamming the door shut in anger.

“Draco is looking for you by the way.” Cassie said as the door of their carriage opened abruptly.

“Where were you?” Draco snapped as he walked into the carriage, and Melissa rolled her eyes, completely irritated with the people around her.

“I don’t understand why you people think what I do is any of your bloody business.” She hissed menacingly. Draco raised an eyebrow and looked at Cassie for an explanation. She shrugged with a huff and looked out the window, just as Melissa did.

They reached the castle and Melissa was still in a foul mood, pushing past every younger year rudely. Draco attempted to keep up with her, but fell behind a couple times. Cassie gave up on the venture and stayed behind with Tracy Davis, still glaring bitterly. Melissa walked up the stone steps and followed the sea of students into the Great Hall. She sat mid-way down the Slytherin table, snapping at a couple first years to leave. Draco sat beside her and looking at her, waiting.

“What?” she snapped in annoyance.

“What’s your problem, Melissa?” he asked.

“People,” Melissa snapped, rolling her eyes.

“Like whom?” he inquired, and her face flushed bright red again.

“Everyone at this point,” said Melissa glaring at him menacingly.

“Don’t look at me that way,” Draco snapped, glaring back at her. Melissa scowled and turned her attention to nothingness. Food soon appeared on the table, but she didn’t touch it. The only thought in her head was the files. She couldn’t fathom why they were blacked out. However, she did finally know her birth name, and the name Dracul Vladimirescu.

“You should eat something.” Draco said, looking over at her.

“I’m not hungry.” Melissa said. Draco shook his head at her and continued eating his dinner and talking with Blaise, Crabbe, and Goyle.