oo1: Gnomes Will Take Your Tongue

For this great author who've inspired me to do my best. :)

---------------------------

Just outside of Kynance Cove stood a large white house. The windows had no dust, fingerprints, or streaks on them. A driveway was clear of everything that didn’t belong. The yard was trimmed recently, not a petal or blade of grass out of place. Cars shined newly and glimmered in the sunlight. The old willow tree in the front of the house danced with the wind whimsically. The back had a creek running through it, the water as clear as glass, a small pool only a couple feet away from it. There wasn’t another house for miles and that was just the way the Penbrooke family liked it.

Inside the house a young boy with brilliant hazel eyes and shaggy brown hair hid behind a light blue settee, his bright red shoes sticking out. A beautiful girl with piercing blue eyes and long black hair came running down the stairs, looking around the house that smelled of air freshener. The girl almost instantly saw the red shoes and smirked slowly and silently walking over to the little boy.

“Well now, either Dorothy’s behind my couch or my little brother is about the worst hider ever in the game of hide-and-go-seek,” said the girl as she grabbed the boy’s ankles and pulled him out. A high-pitched happy laugh left his mouth and he turned over to look at his sister.

“Mum says I’m good, Missy.”

“Yes, well, Mum’s a liar then, Brayden.” She said with a smile and ruffled his hair. He laughed and tried to grab her hand but she quickly pulled it away before poking him on the nose. The two walked into the kitchen sat at the table. A woman was at the counter making lunch for everyone. She was short and straight brown hair with dark green eyes. Freckles covered her face and shoulders, making it hard to see the pale skin underneath.

“Mum,” Brayden said and looked at her. “Missy says I’m no good at hidin’.”

“Missy is just mad that she’s not as good as you.” Andrea said in a singing voice. Melissa glared at her mother as she poured a glass of ice tea for Brayden. He looked at his sister and stuck his tongue out, taunting her.

“Gnomes will come and take your tongue if you stick it out at people.” She said quickly and his tongue retreated quickly back into his mouth that her covered, looking fearfully at his mother.

“Melissa Skylar Penbrooke,” she exclaimed.

“What?” she asked, sniggering lightly.

“That’s not true, Bray,” Andrea said shaking her head and walked over to the fridge. The boy looked at Melissa and she nodded her head mouthing, yes it is. His eyes widened and she couldn’t help but laugh. No one in the house knew if it was true or not, she was the only witch in the family. Andrea’s sister had been a witch but Melissa doubted that the two of them talked of the wizarding world much.

“Missy,” Andrea said and she quickly stopped making faces at her brother. “Do you have any plans today?”

“Yani and Cassie should be over soon to go get school supplies.” She answered as a sandwich was set down in front of her. Melissa brought her knees up to her chest, picking apart her sandwich, not biting it once. Brayden watched how his sister ate her sandwich and copied her every move. Melissa smirked at him and threw a small piece of tomato at him.

“Melissa,” Andrea snapped without even looking at the two.

“What? It was Brayden.” She said teasingly.

“Uh-uh, was not,” he said and stuck out his tongue again. Melissa pointed at it and he covered his mouth again, looking around for the gnomes.

“Oh for goodness sake, Brayden the gnomes will not take your tongue and eat your sandwich like a normal child.” Andrea said shaking her head. He uncovered his mouth and took a bite out of his sandwich, but once Andrea left the room he started picking apart his sandwich again like Melissa.