MUD

Mud absolutely caked her sneakers, so much to the point where she couldn't even see the actual shoe. She felt it sneak inside too, squishing and sticking up against her socks and the feeling made her frown with disgust. She kicked at the air in an attempt to fling it away, but it was too thick. A glob successfully flew off and hit Stiles in the back, clinging to his shirt. He turned around, giving her a nasty look.
"Sorry," she grumbled and continued to trek behind him. On the other hand, he didn't seem to mind the mud, pushing through with the occasional slip while dodging trees and ignoring her requests to slow down. They were on a mission, no way would he stop for a minute.

"Stiles!" She grunted with frustration as even more mud slipped into her sneakers. It was not the most pleasurable feeling.
He stopped, turned to face her. "What?!" He nearly rose his voice but caught the scared look on her face and changed his tone. "Lydia, we have to keep going."
"You need to stop taking this so seriously."
"It is serious." He said. She tried to burn a hole through his head with her eyes. . . It didn't work. Sighing in defeat, Lydia gestures for him to continue on their path. "I can prove Theo isn't who he says he is. We just have to get to the old bridge, you'll see."

You'll see, she scoffed at his words and kicked at nothing again, clumps of mud falling this way and that way. This time, one stuck to Stiles' neck and he groaned.
"Seriously?"
"Stiles, we have to keep going." She mocked him, going past the boy so that she now took the lead. He groaned quietly and rolled his eyes like a child before following.

They came to a steep hill and Lydia stopped, glancing over her shoulder. Stiles nodded, causing her to sigh before continuing their journey. Except the hill was even muddier, if at all even possible and the two lost their balance and slid a little more often. Lydia grabbed hold of a low tree branch to help steady her next step but found herself falling as the branch broke under her grip. She tumbled down the hill, taking Stiles down with her until both of them sat as a tangled muddy mess right back at the bottom. She felt the need to cry because now mud didn't just sit uncomfortably in her shoes, but in her jeans and on her face and it knotted up her hair. Defeated, she lay down completely flat in the mud, letting it consume her. Stiles chuckled, his body slightly overlapping hers but he had no real intention of getting up soon.
"Becoming one with the earth?" He joked.
"Can we go home now?" She sighed, not entirely amused. He didn't answer straight away.