Best Friends

They were best friends and everyone knew and anyone who didn't know learned quickly enough. They hugged in the halls and jumped on each other in excitement and messed up the others hair just to earn a shove in return. They were best friends. Stiles and Lydia were always together and if one went out, the other wasn't far behind. It had been this way for as long as everyone could remember so when they kissed at a party late one night, no one even spoke of it. The two were surprised to say the least, even when Scott and Allison hadn't confronted them. It had been a dare, just like anything else that had happened that night, and surely most of it went perfectly along side the dangerous teenage drinking. That night played through Stiles' head nearly a million times through the course of the next several days.

Now, sitting together on her couch, a normal occurrence between them suddenly felt nerve wracking. At least to him it had. Lydia pulled in closer to Stiles and he stretched an arm along the back of the couch, across her shoulder as well.
"Should we change the channel?" He asked with a sigh, getting quite bored by the situation. Suddenly his breath hitched. Her lips clung to his neck, trailed lazily up the underside of his jaw.
"Turn off the tv."
"Yeah, that's–y-yeah okay." He stuttered and frantically did as she told. "So this is a thing we do now?"
She gave him a chast kiss, gone so quick he wasn't even sure it had actually happened. "Why not? We're best friends."
"We are. So, so you know I tell you everything." He hinted.
Lydia leaned back slightly so she could look him in the eyes. "There will be no sex, Mr.Virgin."
"Ouch, sensitive topic." He poked her shoulder so she poked his back. "Just kissing?"
She nodded and moved towards him again.

Kissing Lydia felt way different than the list of other times he had been kissed, the list which mostly consisted of Malia Tate and their one year exactly relationship. It's not like Malia was bad it was more like Lydia was better in small ways. Lydia stroked his cheeks with her thumbs when he cupped his face. She tugged at his bottom lip to make him sigh and slipped her tongue into his mouth and since when was his best friend so damn good at making out? He now understood why every guy longed to get one little taste– and now Stiles had more than a little taste. By now he'd had a whole meal.
"You're good." She grinned mischievously and pulled back which caused him to follow her and move forward. She laughed a little at this and gave him one last peck before flopping back against the couch.
"I'm good?" He asked, with a slightly cocky smile.
She rolled her eyes. "Don't let the fame go to your head."

It felt like so long since he had kissed her even though it had barely been minutes. He soon realized he couldn't get enough of her.

The next day at school, during lunch to be more specific, felt horribly long and awkward in Stiles' eyes.
"Do you have the history homework."
"Yeah, I copied from Isaac so we know it's good."
"I don't trust that from him. He's making a C in freshmen science; we're juniors."
"I did the math review if anyone needs help."
"Stiles?"
He blinked rapidly to pull out of his dreaming state, vaguely picking up on the conversation Scott, Allison, and Lydia had just had. It felt like Lydia was sitting too close to him. Did she always sit that close to him? He glanced down to measure the distance but found out that was a bad idea because she was wearing the beige skirt that he really liked and her skin looked soft enough to place his hand on under the table and–
"No thanks, I asked Danny to help me." He pushed his lunch tray towards Scott and the boy happily accepted the free food.
Allison furrowed her eyebrows. "Are you okay? You're acting kind of funny?"
"Just really tired. I didn't sleep a lot last night." He rubbed at his eye, not even lying because he had in fact stayed up nearly all night.

"Are you nightmares coming back?" Lydia asked, voice soft and low and laced with concern and all the things he loved about her. It took all he had not to turn and look at her. If he had, he was sure he would've kissed her right then.
"I think I might skip for the rest of the day. Go home. Sleep." He said slowly.