Chapter 3

Brian had me stay back while they went after the first cash house. I didn't mind, as it gave me time to get to know Mia.

"So you and my brother, huh?" I muse as I hook up my laptop and get my police scanner program going. She smiled and nodded. "He seems smitten with you."

"I love him." She replied happily.

"I can tell." I really could. The look in her eyes and the sound of her voice when she talked about him were dead giveaways. "It's good to know somebody was finally able to fill that hole created when our mom died." I shook my head. "Her death hit him hard."

"What happened?"

"Cancer took her from us. He was eleven, I was six." I replied softly, withdrawing the only piece of jewelry I had and opening the locket to look at the picture inside. It was one of me, Brian, and our mom taken when we were kids, mere months before she had died.

"Sorry about your mom Kira." Mia said softly.

"It's alright. It doesn't hurt as much now to talk about it." I told her. "It hurt him, but changed me. With no mother to protect me and guide me down a woman's path, I grew up with the guys. I learned how to fight and shoot, as well as ride and race. I practically grew into a guy except with curves and boobs." I look back at Reaper. "Reaper was my nineteenth birthday present and being fully charged, she hasn't lost a race yet. I met some friends and we formed a crew of sorts, taking any jobs we could get our hands on. Well, any jobs short of running drugs and booze. We wouldn't deal in that area, too risky. We mainly stuck to heists, boosts, street racing, stuff like that. It satisfied our need for a thrill and provided cash to help our families. With both parents dead and Brian elsewhere, I was able to put my share away in the bank. Then last year, the crew split. My gal pal Danni got pregnant with Luke's kid and the two quit to raise the kid. Then when we lost Candi, another gal pal of mine, and almost lost Kasey, her boyfriend, in one job, he quit. And now it's just me, mainly racing. Until Brian called me, it had been kinda slow."

"Will you ever quit?"

I shook my head. "Nah. I've got an adrenaline addiction and racing is my rush. The only way I'll quit is when I get too old to race."

We were talking and giggling when the guys came back. Immediately Brian seemed to know I had told his girlfriend all of his dirty secrets. "Kira, tell me you didn't tell her." He groaned.

"She don't know nothing you don't know bro!" I grinned and as he came after me, slid across Reaper's hood, Dukes of Hazard fashion, laughing. "I just handed her the weapon every woman needs from a little sister. Blackmail!" A growl and Brian came after me, chasing me around the warehouse, managing to keep a few feet behind me. "I thought you used to be a cop!" I taunted. "You should be able to catch me!" Leaping to the table, I leapt for the iron rail and flipped over it to stand on the other side and grin down at him. By now, the both of us were panting from the chase.

"Are you children done?" Dom seemed amused.

I just grin at him. "Now what?"

"Now, we watch and wait. Once they pack up the cash, we'll each follow our targets to the location." He replied. Hearing police chatter, he oriented on my laptop and pointed to it. "Whose is it and what is that?"

I grin. "Mine and police scanner program."

"Can we use it?" Brian asked, interested.

"That's why it's running." I retorted with a smirk. "I know we'd be getting into some heavy shit, even possibly running into trouble with the cops, so I made sure to pack it. It's saved the asses of me and my crew more times than we can count on jobs."