Chapter 8

I was working with Rome under the hood of one of the cop cars when we spotted Mia come in with a scruffy looking male right behind her. Brian looks up and seeing the new male, immediately strides forward. Sensing hostilities, me and Rome look at each other and move forward as well, preparing to break up a fight.

"It's okay. Wait! Reyes' guys were waiting for me at the market. Vince saved my life." Mia explained in a rush to Brian as we gained his back. It was quiet for a few minutes as all three of us stared him down. Off to my right, I noticed Han had stopped what he was doing under the hood of another cop car and was watching the exchange, probably waiting to see if I needed the backup.

"You hungry?" Dom speaks up after a few minutes.

Vince looks over at him. "Yeah, sure."

"Good. Because you're saying grace." Dom replies and that seems to break up the hostile tone in the air as Brian holds out a hand to the other.

"Thanks, Vince."

Vince nods before looking at me, checking me over. "Who's this?" Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Han tense up. Was that jealously I was seeing?

I fold my arms across my chest. "Buster's little sister." I retort before heading back to the car I had been working on with Rome.

"Your man was getting all worked up when he was checking you out." Rome smirked as he joined me a minute later.

"I saw him out of the corner of my eye." I replied.

"You know anything about this guy?" He asked.

"I know a bit." I answer. "You remember how Brian told you he had been an undercover cop?"

He nods. "That was back in LA. Something about hijacking some rigs or something like that."

"Hijacking semis and it was Dom's crew who was doing it. From what he's told me, Vince was one of the original crew. Did you see the scars on his right arm?"

"What about 'em?"

"Vince was injured when their last heist went wrong. After that, the crew split to the four corners of the globe. Some shit goes down and Dom loses one of his crew in a drive-by while Brian hands over the keys to his car, allowing Dom to get away. Brian lost his job because of it and had to run to Miami, where the feds made the two of you do that job to clear your names." I explained.

"As soon as that boy gets out of trouble, he's back in it." Rome comments.

"He's an O'Conner. We stay in trouble." I grin back.

Rome chuckles softly. "Ain't that the truth. I met him in juvie."

"I know. I don't know what made him want to be a cop. O'Conner's are born troublemakers." I replied.

A couple hours later, Leo was manning the barbecue while Tej, Rome, and Han relaxed. I was cleaning both guns while Reaper played music nearby, in preparation for the big heist tomorrow. I couldn't deny I was nervous, but then I always was before a big job. But being the biggest job I've helped pull yet, I was also scared. I idly listened to their conversation.

"So, we in Brazil. It's the good life." Rome comments.

"Yeah." Tej nods.

"So, you got a little more than $10 or $11 million coming. What you going to do with your money?" Rome asks.

"Me?"

"Yeah."

"Actually, man, I been thinking about opening up a garage back home. Place where people can bring their cars and not get completely ripped off. You know what I mean?" Tej replies. I smile, that sounded like a good idea. I might do it myself.

"Really?" Rome asks.

"Yeah." Tej answers.

"So, your dream is to start a day job? That's stupid. Like, why would..." Rome trailed off and Tej shook his head.

"No, it's not stupid at all. I love what I do."

Rome shook his head. "That don't make no sense to me."

"I know what I'm going to do with my money." Santo declares and I look up as he sets down a plate of some burned barbecue. "Buying some cooking lessons for my man."

"See? See? There you go with that negativity, man. You know me. Money ain't a goddamn thing." Leo fires back. I give a snort of laughter. I sure was going to miss those two when this was over. They were hilarious.

I watch as Rome picks up a piece of blackened ribs and regards them. "It's going to take a little more than money to learn how to cook." He shakes his head and sets the burned piece of meat back down. "That's horrible. But I heard they was looking for a chef down at this animal shelter. You might want to... I know the manager." Rome offered. I shook my head at them and returned to cleaning my guns.

After a few minutes, I feel a solid form at my back and arms go around my waist as a kiss is placed to my neck. "You alright?" I hear Han's soft voice as he nuzzles my ear.

"I'm a little scared, as this is the biggest heist I've helped pull yet and I'm also on edge, which is normal for me before a big job." I replied.

Resting his head on my shoulder, he watches me for a few minutes. "You really like doing that stuff, huh?"

I gave a shrug. "You never know when a properly cleaned gun will save your ass in a tight spot." I regard the pieces of one gun that lay scattered on the crate as I'm putting together the other. "And these two have saved my life more times than I can count."

I feel his arms tighten around my waist. "We'll pull off this heist and then we're going to Tokyo." He promises in my ear.

"What do you mean she can't? What is...?" I hear Rome ask and look up in time to see Brian place a hand over Mia's stomach where she's sitting on his lap. She places a hand over his and they both smile at Rome. Rome's a little slow to catch on, but I see it right away. Smiling big up at Han, I race over.

"Are you fucking serious right now?" Brian just grins at me. I look at Dom as he comes from where he had been going over the Charger. I turn to him. "Is that the reason you let him beat you in the quarter-mile?" Me and Rome laugh. Now I knew why Dom had pulled back at the last second.

"That was a baby gift." Rome laughs.

"No, that's messed up. No, you're not taking that from me." Brian retorts.

"Wait, wait, hold on a second. So, did he just smack the ass or did he grab and hold on to it? Which one was it?" Tej asked and we all laugh. There's a happy celebration and I pounce on Brian.

"About damn time brother!" I squeal happily. I was going to be an aunt. I was so excited.

"How can you keep this a secret?" Rome demands and everybody ignores him.

"Crazy, huh?" Brian grins at me.

"It's your boy. Why would you keep something like that away from me?" Rome argues only to be ignored again.

Brian stands next to Dom. "Baby gift, huh?"

"I have no idea what they're talking about." Dom replies.

"Oh?" Brian smiled.

Dom walks forward and lifts his beer. "Toast." The rest of us gather around in a circle around him, our own drinks in hand. "Money will come and go. We know that. But the most important thing in life will always be the people in this room. Right here. Right now." Then he says something in Italian and we touch drinks and reply before taking a sip. Before I can even take a sip of my beer, I'm getting kissed. Cheers and whoops ring out around us and I flip them all off, which only makes Brian and Dom laugh harder.

"Y'all just jealous that he got it before any of you could!" I grin once he pulls back. Good-natured ribbing and laughter ensues for a good while.