Chapter 4

We went after some burritos, some bags of weird looking chips, and some drinks before we headed back. When we got there, Mia had returned with a large roll of papers in her hand.

She smiled as she laid out the blueprints out on the table. "The beauty of public offices? Public records."

We all looked over the plans. I felt a hand rest on my hip and knew it was Han since we had been sharing a bag of chips. Sure enough, his hand digs in and comes back out with a chip. I take a bite out of it before he can get it to his lips.

Brian points out the obvious. "This is where he's keeping the money. The vault in the evidence room."

"Um. Uh, yeah. Can I get everyone's attention, right here, for a second? We're talking about breaking into a police station. Is anyone listening to those words? Anybody? Popo. Five-O. One-time. Pigs. People we don't like." Tej looked at us like we were nuts.

"You know, police stations are designed to keep people in, not out." Han pointed out, letting me nibble from another chip.

Brian smiled at us. "That's why it's a stealth mission. We'll be in and out before they even know we were there."

I grinned. "Some Sly Cooper shit. Sounds like fun." I felt soft laughter against my back.

"Well, we'll need to get eyes in there. At least to find out the make and model of that vault." Dom commented.

Rome looked the area in question over. "So the vault and then, so... It's crazy." He sounded like he was still trying to figure it out. "Who's supposed to do all this?" Brian and Mia look at each other and then they look at Dom. The three of them look at Rome. "What do you mean? Why me?"

Brian just grins. "Because you got the biggest mouth."

"That's for damn sure." Tej agrees and I snicker. Rome gives all of us a dirty look. Minutes later, him, Brian and Tej head off in the van with the remote control car I had rigged with a video camera.

They were back in due time with results.

"Seven-by-twelve. Fitted with 18-inch-thick steel reinforced walls with a insulated copper core to protect against thermal lance. A Class-3 electronic lock with a surefire Griffin retumbler and a biometric palm scanner. Ten tons of top-of-the-line security." Tej explained, showing us the image they had gained from my RC car.

I whistled. "Talk about a bitch to crack. That's going to be fun."

Tej nodded. "One of the toughest vaults to crack in the business. We ain't gonna get anywhere with it unless we get a duplicate to practice with."

"Assuming you'll breach the safe, how the hell do we get in?" Mia asked.

Brian leaned on the table and tapped the map. "Yeah, I've been thinking about the way in. The wall to the evidence room, that's alarmed, so that's not happening. Then we got this one here, but there's a guard shack outside, so that's no good. But this one... This one shares a wall with the basement bathroom."

"What about the money?" Rome asked.

"You're talking about five-ton cash weight." Han commented from where he sat behind me on some sort of conveyor thing. I sat between his feet on a stool, a bag of chips in the crook of my elbow where we could get at them.

"And that's gonna be some heavy shit to move." I added, leaning back against his legs. I felt his fingers lightly tickle the back of my neck.

Brian nodded. "Yeah, but that's the thing about the bathroom. It's got a vent that leads to the parking garage. All we gotta do is pop that vent, and then pass the money through to some waiting cars." He explained.