12

She was finally free from work at seven, she spent the time at the sink slurping back glasses of water to pass the time. She took off her apron and opened her phone to multiple texts from yet another old hookup, Cadence. He was around and looking for someone to get high with so she obviously agreed. She took the blunts out of her locker and put them straight into her pocket then followed Ian who'd already collected the families order from the chef, they had a discount and felt they all needed a treat.

They arrived home to see an amused looking  Carl and terrified Liam watching a documentary about animals giving birth so she immediately switched it off while Ian sat the table. "What did I tell you about Liam and these shows ? Where's Fiona ?" she asked confused as Carl came around the couch to talk to her. "Upstairs with her boyfriend Steve, he's basically moved in. Debbies not here either, she's at some bitches house" he reported back to her as she took a second to take it all in and then thanked him for the information on his sisters whereabouts. "Dinner" Ian hollered so everybody in the house could hear them as they all scurried like rats to the table, to her surprise, Lip was there.

"Thought you were going to the North Side" she said sarcastically while taking a handful of his fries as he nodded. "I was, I did, I'm back now" he said in the same tone of voice while reaching over and taking the same amount of fries she'd stolen from him. "Lip and Charlie back in the room then unless you have a mystery man coming over and I'm sent back to the trenches" he asked, he didn't expect her to have anybody coming over so saw it was a joke but she shook her head. "Room to yourself, I'm going out, not sure if I'll be back" she said through a shrug as Ian raised an eyebrow, it was the first he heard of it. "Meaning ?" he asked concerned as she sighed and threw her head back, she knew what was coming. "Catch up with Cadence" she said, picking up her burger and she watched as Lip's smiling face turned into a disapproving look. "Oh don't look at me like that" she warned before taking the biggest bite as he shook his head. "Look at you like what ? Hes only ever gotten you drunk and high" he said, it was a fact, he had every right to say it and she knew he wasn't wrong so nodded. "I don't see how it's any of your business" she replied as he kept shaking his head.

"Is there a contract I can sign ? Y'know, one with a number limit on the mistakes I have to stop you from making" he said, he had that tone Fiona hated and it wasn't going to go down well. Charlie stood up, she felt backed into a corner and puffed out her chest to show she wasn't backing down. "What the fuck is that supposed to mean ?" she shouted as Ian repeatedly told her to sit back down but she refused to listen. "Mickey, Iggy, Hayden Criss apparently, first I heard of him, now Cadence. Who else do I not know about ?" he asked, standing up so they could atleast look eachother in the eye. "You ? Judging me ? Nah I don't think so. Karen, Mandy, Penelope, Mercedes, half of fucking Lincoln High. Mercedes was fast asleep in my bed, the pillow hadn't even aired out yet and you were sitting in the diner with Penelope-" she began as he cut her off and put his head in his hands. "I need to distract myself from you somehow" he shouted so loud that she could've  sworn the whole house shook, everyone went quiet, he didn't say it out of anger, it was buried so deep that he didn't know how to say it. The noise brought Fiona and Steve running down the stairs. "What's going on down here ?" she asked panicked while he buttoned his shirt but the front door flew open and distracted them all. 

"Don't you lie to Fronc" Bob hollered, it almost matched Lip's volume, hearing the voices made Charlie numb, she walked straight over the Liams chair and picked him up. The trio who had just entered the house made their way to the kitchen so Charlie began backing towards the back door and Lip and Ian stood protectively infront of her to block the way from Frank, Monica and Bob. Carl had slipped under them and was standing there with his arms wrapped around the girl and his brother, he'd fight anyone to protect her. "He's not here" Ian said instantly as Bob stepped infront of Monica. "Then where is ?" she shouted, Charlie looked at Liam, then Carl and nodded, she knew what to do. "He's dead" she shouted, no one could see her so it was very believable.

"W-what, Charlie ? Is that true ?" Monica asked close to tears as Frank sighed. "Christ, the little tyke isn't dead, she's always been a great storyteller, that one but she'll hand him over if she knows what's good for her" he explained as Bob added that she shouldn't be joking about things like that and just like that Charlie turned the doorknob to the backdoor, the cool air hit her face and she knew what she had to do. She walked straight out of the house with Liam on her hip, Carl stayed behind and she walked and walked with no real destination in her head until she bumped right into Cadence. "Just coming to find you, you look amazing. I just went to Raoul and-and-" he began but he couldn't even continue babbling on because he saw how distressed she was.

"Char ? Charlie, whats wrong ?" he whispered while cupping her tear stained cheeks as she shook her head. "They can't take him Cay, I won't let them" she whispered as he sighed and wrapped his arms around her. "I've been there with my little sister, it's alright. No ones taking anyone anywhere ? Okay ? I've got you" he said softly as she kept shaking her head. "You don't get it, Monica's back to take Liam and I didn't know what to do" she began but he grabbed her elbow and kept walking, there were tears spilling down her cheeks while he shushed her. "Your dads is right there, we'll take him there, he'll know what to do, we'll have our night together as promised" he said trying to reason with her as she nodded so he walked her across the street and knocked at the door. Chase answered it in record timing and looked concerned. "Private ? I saw you out the window, what did he make you do ?" he asked, making sure his little girl wasn't in danger but Cadence was quick to tell him the story, he respected her father. He listened and then told them he'd take care of it all and within seconds they were back out enjoying the Chicago summer night.

Cadence had his arm wrapped around her as they walked, they didn't talk about where they were going but they both already knew. "I would've walked back to New York if I knew he'd be safe. I wasn't thinking" she explained as Cadence looked down to see one of the pockets of her zip-up flashing, meaning her phone was ringing. "Answer it" he said immediately but she shook her head. "And say what ? Sorry I walked off with your toddler, use your brain dingus" she said annoyed as they walked to the nearest bridge. 

It had been a Charlie and Cadence thing for the last three years and it made her feel so free. They sat on top of it, she took out the blunts she bought earlier and he took out a small bag of white powder he'd explain later. Her phone was blowing up but she ignored it, the wind was blowing through her hair and her eyes were glued shut. Her right hand nursed the blunt while the left was interlocked with Cadence. "I seriously missed you" he said, interrupting her from her thoughts as she shook her head. "You missed this, you didn't miss me" she said unamused, it was just a stupid obsession, boys had that with her a lot but he stood up so he was like a tightrope walker on the bridge. "No, I mean it, I missed you, I thought about you too much I'd go to see Chase just to be reminded of you, I love you Char" he shouted for the whole world to hear as she smiled, he outstretched his two hands so she could stand up with him and at that second, it was the two broken teenagers against the world. She'd heard the words I love you before but never from someone like him, she pressed a kiss on his lips and then rested her head on his chest and they stayed like that for what felt like forever. "Answer your phone, I can wait a couple of seconds longer" he said, feeling the effects of their actions so she nodded, jumped down and pressed the green answer button since Lip was calling her again.

"What ?" she asked unamused as he took a breath of relief. "Thank fuck, there's a god out there" he whispered to himself, his relief scared her. "Lip ?" she asked, her voice was laced with confusion and concern. "Chase dropped Liam over I heard the name Cadence and my mind went to-y'know what nevermind. Is that water I can hear ?" he asked, the panic was clear at the end as she stayed silent. "Monica's gone, Liam's back, no ones mad at you. Come back" he begged as she bit her bottom lip, she wanted to say yes but she didn't want to leave. "I'm staying with Cay" she said as he shook his head but realised he couldn't see her. "N-no, you're high, you don't know what you're saying, tell me you'll come back. You've been at the bridge, I know you have, I don't trust h-" he began but she shook her head, she didn't want to hear it. "Night Lip" she whispered before hanging up.