13

She was rudely awoken by a bright light peeking through the curtains, she sat up half asleep but her eyes shot open once she saw the familiar yet unfamiliar silence. It left her confused until she turned her head to see Cadence drinking a mug of coffee. "Good morning beautiful girl, you sleep good ?" he asked before pressing a kiss on her lips as she smiled, this is how people were supposed to be greeted in the morning. "Is it bad if I tell you I remember none of last night ?" she asked, hiding her face with her hands out of shame as he laughed and shook his head. "Those bottles of vodka made me forget too" he joked as she nodded along. "Explains my headache. Did-did we uh do anything ?" she asked while scratching the back of her neck, embarrassed that she was so drunk she'd forgotten.

He shrugged and handed her and pill and a glass of water before standing up. "To be honest I don't know, I found a used condom on the floor so, I suppose we did" he explained while walking over to his closet to pick out an outfit, it was the same thing most days, black. "Why ? Did, did you not to ?" he asked with his head hidden amongst his jeans as she shook her head. "N-no, of course I did" she clarified as he nodded once again and finished getting dressed. "Phew, alright good, you worried me there. I'll see you later" he said while saluting her as she furrowed her eyebrows, it wasn't like him to take off like that. "Work, I'll see you later though" he said like it was obvious as she widened her eyes. "You start work at two" she said slowly as she nodded. "I know, it's half past, I'm late" he told her as she shot out of bed and searched for her clothes on the floor. "I had work three hours ago" she whisper-yelled as she pulled on her clothes in record timing and bolted out of the house. She checked her phone and ignored the calls from Lip and called Mandy, she'd know how to help.

"Hey girl, I'm late, like, really really really late to Mel's and" she said frantically as Mandy told her to "say no more" and within seconds pulled up next to her in a red car. "Get in bitch, you have work to go to" she shouted as the grateful girl for in. "Jesus, you look rough" she said honestly but Charlie ignored her. "You alright ?" she continued through a nudge as the girl nodded and the pair drove in silence, the previous day was seriously hitting Charlie Cavanaugh.

"Thanks Mandy, I owe you big time" she said through a smile but Mandy got out with her. "Get me a plate of pancakes and we'll call it even" she said back as they entered the diner. There, sitting at the table by the door was Lip sitting across the way from Karen. He looked scarily tired and so happy yet sad in her presence. In Charlie's eyes, Lip looked at Karen different to everyone else and she hated Karen for it. She hated herself for it too that she couldn't be happy he found such comfort in another person but she just wished on every star that it could've been her. Meanwhile, every girl Lip ever met thought the same about Charlie and they'd be right, Lip looked at her like his whole world came to a stand-still because she was there. He spoke about her all day everyday and any fool could pick up on how in love with her he was, all but her.

"Find a seat, I'll put in your order" she said with her eyes glued to Lip who hadn't spoken to her at all. "Karen's a slut, alright, don't feel-" Mandy began but Charlie shook her head and walked into the back to clock in. "You're late again Cavanaugh" she shouted as Charlie sighed and leant against the door. "I'm aware Mel" she replied unamused while grabbing the dreaded blue and white roller skates and her apron. "That's not your uniform" she barked, Charlie ignored her but the woman grabbed her arm. "You can use a spare for now but you stroll in here late again and you can kiss your job goodbye, understand ?" she warned as the girl nodded, got changed and told the cook to make a batch of pancakes. He handed her a pot of coffee and she was instructed to bring it over to table two, Lip's table.

"If you need anything else, don't be afraid to ask" she said, once again in a monotone, unamused voice as she set the pot down. If looks could kill, Karen would have murdered her all because Lip was looking at her in that way again. She was about to skate away but Lip grabbed her wrist and pulled her back. "Are you serious, I've drank so much coffee I feel like my insides are going to collapse, where were you ? Are you alright, I was so worried about you" he rambled as she pulled her arm away from him. "I'm fine, why wouldn't I be ?" she asked annoyed before skating off to the next table, she wasn't in the mood. 

Her day was spent ignoring and avoiding everyone. Due to her having to use a spare uniform and being late multiple times, Mel have the cleaners the day off and made her scrub the diner from top to bottom, it was a little after midnight when she got back to the Gallaghers. "Where have you been ?" Fiona asked immediately, her eyes were stuck to the television, she didn't even need to turn around. The woman sounded mad yet relieved that she was back, Charlie ignored her and took a seat next to her on the couch. "Nobody was mad at you last night, you knew that didn't you ? How could we be made at someone trying to protect our little brother ?" Fiona asked as Charlie sighed. "I don't know what came over me, I was embarrassed I guess for just walking out. I'm sorry, I just didn't want Monica to take him" she explained, she'd been numb the whole day.

"Don't be sorry, I don't blame you" Fiona reassured her before handing Charlie her cup of hot chocolate which she was warming her hands on. "Hey, uh, Fi ? Did you mean what you said a couple nights ago ?" she asked as Fiona titled her head. "About, y'know Lip" she continued, whispering the boys name as Fiona nodded. "Definitely, why ?" she asked with her eyebrows raised, she was getting excited at the possibility of them. "Talk to me" she urged as Charlie sighed and nodded. "Since I came back, all people have been talking about is how much Lip likes me but have you seen the way he looks at Karen ?" she asked as Fiona nodded and laughed. "Like a piece of meat. Let's just say, you two have always had this really close and special bond, I've never seen him smile or laugh or be as nice as he is around you and I've never seen you so relaxed and comfortable with someone. You always have expectations with the guys your with but you've never had them with Lip, it always just worked, even when you two were together all those years ago. My advice is go talk to him, he sat at that kitchen table until four this morning worrying about you" she preached as Charlie nodded before going upstairs, she knew what she had to do.

Lip wasn't in their room when she went up so she got ready for bed and was sitting bolt upright on it when anxiously awaiting his arrival. When he finally came, he took a seat right next to her, they both knew they needed to talk. "I was, uh, I was worried about you last night" he said awkwardly as she nodded. "I know, I'm sorry for making you worry, I wasn't thinking straight but Cadence" she began as he sucked in a breath as if the name stung. "Cadence" he said bitterly as she sighed. "I don't get why you hate him so much" she asked as he looked at her for the first time. They were properly looking at eachother, he still had the purple bruising from Mickey, his eyes were glistening from the moonlight shining in and as usual he was nursing a Marlboro cigarette. Lip on the other hand saw the same broken look in her eyes, he realised it never went away, she looked unbelievably tired and her makeup was starting to smudge, she needed to be looked after.

"The same reason I had with Mickey, he has everything I ever wanted, he gets you high and fucks you, he's nothing special" he said bitterly while stubbing out his cigarette, this was rare so she knew it was serious. "What do you mean everything you've ever wanted ?" she asked softly, she just wanted to hear the words, he kept the eye contact strong. "You, you're everything I've ever wanted Charlie, I've told you this" he said, it shocked her that he hadn't picked the toxin back up. "Y'know, I'd be lying if I said you weren't everything I've ever wanted too. I was just so scared you wouldn't want me back" she explained, she was vulnerable and he could see it. "Who wouldn't want you ?" he said honestly as his eyes trailed to her wrist, he picked it up with two of his fingers and examined it.

"I still think you're batshit crazy for getting this" he said while tracing the cursive "Lipstick" tattoed on it, she had Ian on her other one because they were both so special to her. "I'd be batshit if I didn't get them" she joked, she watched as his eyes travelled from her wrist to her eyes and down to her lips, she noticed it instantly and she was never one to back down. They were sitting shoulder to shoulder, they were centimetres from each others faces so she closed the gap and pressed a kiss on his lips. "I'm not sorry" she whispered as he smirked and nodded. "Come here" he whispered back as they shared another kiss but this time it was a proper, it was hungry because it was so long awaited, it was full of so much passion and unresolved feelings. He pulled away from her quickly and began kissing up and down her neck, he wanted to claim every inch of her as his. "Is-is this alright ?" he asked as she smirked and nodded. "More than" she whispered and the rest was history but they both felt everything you were supposed to and more. They were in love.