xiii.

xiii.

“I must say you four are simply the cutest family!” Lou said as she took a sip of her tea. Lou had come by for a three month inspection instead of her usual month one, but Louis and Harry didn’t mind. In fact, they were glad she had come later since Zayn was beginning to talk more.

“Thank you,” Zayn said as he smiled up at her. Louis planted a kiss on his cheek, knowing that he was merely adorable.

“So, school starts up in August. I know it’s only June, but have you two thought of schools for the boys?” She asked as she threw her hair up into a messy bun.

“Yeah, um, we just got Liam tested over at the elementary school.” Harry announced the news proudly as he rubbed his son’s back.

Liam had tested to be put in the first grade, so he was on track, and that made Louis and Harry relieved. They were worried about how far behind he was, considering he had jumped around from so many homes. Zayn, who was going to the local day school, was content and his dads knew that he needed to interact with kids his own age.

“Oh good,” Lou said as she smiled at the little family in front of her. “I’m glad to hear that everything is going well for you all.”

“How are you Lou?” Louis asked as he looked fondly at the older woman in front of him. To say he cared for Lou would be right on the money. Lou had brought light into their bleak home and Louis couldn’t be more grateful for that.

“Oh I’m alright. You know, just taking things daily.” Lou said with a smile.

“Well, we’re happy to hear that,” Harry said with a warm smile.

“So tell me, are you two planning to adopt again?” Lou asked as she began to put the paperwork she had laid out in her briefcase.

“I don’t think so,” Louis said softly, and Harry slowly nodded in agreement. They both knew that they had enough to handle on their plate right now. They couldn’t take in another child, no matter how much Lou begged.

“Well alright then,” she said with a small smile.

“Um, was there-” Louis started, but Lou shook her head.

“Oh no, I was just curious. But I think your little family is fine for right now,” she said as Liam poked Harry’s cheek, obviously bored with all the adults talking. Zayn was too busy playing with the buttons on his overalls and Lou couldn’t help but chuckle.

“Those two are going to be a handful,” she said thoughtfully.

“Probably,” Harry said. “But they’re worth it.”

“Yes, they are,” Louis said as he kissed the top of Zayn’s head. Zayn turned up and poked Louis’ nose, a sign of endearment that Louis just laughed at.

The Tomlinson-Styles walked Lou to the door and said their goodbyes before they decided to spend the day together.

“Well what are we going to do?” Harry asked Louis as they sat in the living, watching over their sons as they drew pictures.

“Well, we could try going out for dinner?” Louis asked hesitantly, glancing over at Zayn. He remembered his son’s meltdown earlier in their short time together, and he didn’t want anyone to freak out over anything like that again.

“Yeah!” Harry said in a rush. He then looked at Louis, who was a bit nervous for the outing, biting his nails. He smiled at his husband, knowing that the fears would need to be doused eventually.

“Louis?” Harry asked as he gently took his partner’s hands from his mouth.

“Sorry,” Louis mumbled.