epilogue.

epilogue.

“Up you go buddy,” Harry said as he placed Niall on the floor.

Niall, now thirteen months, or as Harry and Louis bluntly say to people that ask, their one year old, pushed himself up before running across the room, only to be met with a shut door.

“Dada?” Niall asked as he pointed towards the door. Harry’s heart melted whenever Niall spoke. He loved the fact that Niall called him Dada, but what made it better was that it wasn’t his first word. Louis and Harry had been shocked, but laughed heartily as soon as Niall’s first spilled out of his mouth.

He was about nine months and the family was having dinner. Liam was talking about the game they had just gotten back from, and although everyone was there, no one had the heart to tell him they knew. His face lit up with excitement.

“Liam, we are very proud of you,” Louis said as he smiled at his son. Harry nodded in agreement as he fed Niall his peas and tater tots. Niall chewed happily, giggling as Harry made noises.

Zayn, staying silent as he usually did, took a bite of one of his tater tots, but he hadn’t been aware of the baby staring avidly at him. Niall began to whine as he demanded attention.

“Niall? What’s wrong?” Harry asked.

Niall, clearly frustrated, pointed at Zayn.

“Me?” Zayn asked with confusion clearly written across his face.

Niall shook his head and waved his arm up and down, but no one understood.

“Is he alright?” Liam whispered to Louis.

“I think so,” Louis whispered back. “I don’t know if this is normal baby behavior.”

“Tater!” Niall screamed.

Louis, Harry, and Liam looked at Niall with their mouths open. Each shocked to his own that Niall actually was talking. Zayn simply gave Niall a tater tot, and Niall squealed with delight, gleefully popping the fried potato into his mouth.

“Tater,” Harry said absentmindedly.

“Tater,” Louis said, his head shook as he chuckled.

“Why tater? Why couldn’t he have said ‘Liam is the coolest brother ever?’?” Liam said as he huffed in exasperation.

Harry smiled at the memory as he let Niall out of the bedroom and they made their way into the living room. Whenever Harry was home alone with Niall, on the days Niall had to go in for his job, Harry played stay at home dad. In the mornings, he’d watch TV with Niall, usually a kids program, and today’s choice was about some pig. Harry had to admit, it was kind of cute.

While they were watching, the doorbell rang, surprising Harry quite a bit considering they weren’t expecting anyone today. Harry got up, picking up Niall as he went, and swung open the front door to see a police man standing there.

“Good morning. Are you either Harry or Louis Tomlinson-Styles?” The officer asked.

“Harry,” he said as he shifted Niall a bit more comfortably on his hip.

“This was left for you sir,” the officer said. He handed a rather large parcel to Harry and gave him a tip of the head. “My deepest condolences.”

Harry bid the officer farewell and closed the door with his foot before setting the parcel on the ground along with Niall and himself.

“Well should we see what’s in here?” Harry asked as he began to open the parcel. He got it open, but it was wrapped once more, but there was a letter sitting on top.