4. The Bell

As I was getting out of the shower, doubt flooded my thoughts.

What will this closed-off woman say? And more importantly, what do you wear to a meeting about your long-lost son with the Mayor of this weird town?

I look at the clock.

11:20 am

Shit! My hair was still wet from the shower. There was no use in putting it up now. I change into a white button-down and grab my red jacket. I lace up my boots and run out the door, making sure to lock it with the key and put it in my pocket.

I rush down to the diner portion of the B&B.

As I opened the door the little bell rang and pierced my sensitive ears.

"You'll get used to it."

The girl at the counter said nonchalantly.

I walked over to the counter. Slightly out of breath.

"I'm Emma, and you are?"

"Ruby. My Granny is the owner of the B&B." She replied.

I smell the air. She's a wolf as well. That's interesting.

"Why do you have that annoying bell?" I said, absentmindedly touching my ears.

"You'll get used to it, don't worry," she shrugged.

Before I could order, A voice rang out which I quickly recognized as Granny herself, calling for Ruby.

"Take a seat and I'll take your order in a sec."

Then she smiled and went to the back.

I turned and found a booth.

I sat down and looked around, it was a classic-looking diner and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. The few customers, who I assumed were regulars, were a mix of humans and non-humans.

I tried to prepare myself for the conversation coming up. 

I fiddled with my wet hair as I waited.

After a few minutes, I heard that damn bell.

I look up and it's the Mayor, wearing a red blouse and a black pencil skirt. She walked in with a hand raking through her hair, the other holding a black purse.

"Mayor Mills," I state, not sure what else to say.

"Miss Swan. I didn't peg you for the punctual type." She smiled as she sat down across from me.

"I like to make a good impression."

"Have you ordered anything?"

"No. Not yet. Ruby was busy."

I messed with my collar as we waited for Ruby to come over, I looked down and see that her shirt was unbuttoned to the point where I can see her black lace bra.

She was looking over at the window. We ordered coffee and I ordered pancakes.

"Miss Swan, let me be clear. This town has rules, and as the Mayor, I enforce these rules.