Confession

"So, is this the final story you're going with?"

"It isn't a story--"

"Is that your final statement or not, Mr. Iero?" Judge Lockhart interrupted him, making Frank sigh out softly under his breath. He felt physically drained; answering so many questions--each one getting more challenging and harder to answer than the last, but he managed to answer them. All truthfully, and he even made sure to make direct eye contact with people in the audience--to try and gain their sympathy.

"That'll be all, Mr. Iero, thank you." Judge Lockhart motioned his hand for Frank to step down from the witness stand and call forward the next witness.
Frank was escorted back to his seat by a bailiff, seated next to his lawyer.

"I'd like to call forward Ray Toro to the witness stand." Frank didn't even notice that Ray was sitting in the audience...his mind was so scattered, and he was completely terrified that he couldn't even pay attention to anything and everything around him.
Ray made his way over to the witness stand. He was dressed formally; a white buttoned up shirt, black slacks, black dress shoes, and even his long and puffy hair was in a tight ponytail. As he made his way over to the witness stand, he caught Frank looking over at him...they didn't say anything, but Ray somehow knew what Frank was thinking--just by looking at him.

"Today, Mr. Toro--please." Judge Lockhart spoke, catching Ray's attention as he gave Frank a small half from before making his way onto the witness stand.

"How are you today, Mr. Toro?"

"Ray, your honor. Call me Ray."

"If you insist, Ray."

"I'm well, your honor. And you?" Frank couldn't help but smile a small smile to himself as he held back a soft chuckle by biting down on his bottom lip. Ray was still himself; cheerful, goofy, and still a smart ass.

"I'm well, myself. Now, you understand why you're up here?"

"Because a king needs a queen by their side?" Ray's comment made several people laugh, Judge Lockhart wasn't amused. Not in the slightest. He banged his gavel down again, louder than the first time, and everyone fell silent, again.

"Listen to me, Mr. Toro--I don't appreciate nonsense in my courtroom. Is that understood? You are here to answer questions about Frank Iero; you're his best friend, is that correct?"

"...um, y-yes sir...your honor, I mean." Judge Lockhart nodded his head in response before he calmed himself down.

"Then I expect you to be serious and answer my questions. You think you can do that?" Ray felt threatened by Judge Lockhart; he was so damn serious...he actually scared Ray.

"Yes, your honor."

"Good. Now, you said you're Mr. Iero's best friend? How long have you two known each other?"

"I've known Frank since we were little kids. We went to the same elementary school, lived in the same neighborhood, and we did everything together. He was like my brother." Ray looked over at Frank again, who looked like he was getting a little emotional as he sat and listened to what he had to say.

"What kind of person was Frank during your childhood?"

"Frank was a good kid. He never caused any issues at school and was always a good friend to me; in fact, he was the best..."

"Did he ever seem odd? Any unusual behavior?"

"No. Like I said, Frank was a good kid. If anything, he was..." Ray hesitates completing his sentence, but it caught Judge Lockhart's attention as he raised an eyebrow.