Witness

Both Frank and Gerard were shocked once they heard Judge Lockhart call forward their young five year old son. Anthony's big hazel eyes widened with pure fear as he looked up at Gerard, grabbing a hold of him by his arm and tugging at his jacket.

"Daddy...I don't wanna go up there..." He whispered at Gerard. Anthony had a soft kiss placed against his forehead as his dad assured him that everything would be alright.

"Your honor, you're going to question a five year old...?" Catherine asked as she stood up from her seat.

"He's a witness--I'm sure he can answer a few simple questions."

"He's just a child, your honor--"

"I've been doing this job for a very long, long time. I was still doing this when you were his age, Ms. Hopper--I've questioned plenty of children, before." Frank felt alarmed; his eyes were wide, his heart was beating rapidly, and his hands were beginning to tremble, lightly.

"Don't you think the child will be frightened...?"

"He has nothing to be afraid of, Ms. Hopper, I will be asking him simple questions. Would someone please escort Anthony Michael Iero-Way forward?" The bailiff made his way over towards Anthony. Anthony buried his little face in Gerard's side--whimpering softly as he wrapped his arms around his father's waist, squeezing onto him.

"Hey, hey..." Gerard spoke softly to his young son as he softly shushed him and ran his hand through Anthony's freshly cut and soft dark hair.

"I don't wanna go up there, daddy--that judge is mean and scary..."

"It'll be alright, baby. Just go up there and answer a few questions...I'll be here for you, and so will daddy Frank. Okay?" Anthony lifted his up and looked at Gerard with his big and bright hazel eyes...Gerard kissed the top of his son's head and gently stroked his hair.

"You'll be okay."

"Can you walk with me...? I don't wanna go with the stranger..." Gerard smiled down at Anthony, grabbed a hold of his small hand in his, and walked with him over to the witness stand.
Once Anthony was seated, Gerard gave him another soothing kiss before heading back to his seat. Anthony looked over at Frank, who smiled over at him.

"Hello, Anthony. I'm Judge Lockhart." Anthony looked over at the judge; he slumped against his chair and he didn't say a word...he was completely terrified and he froze.

"No need to be afraid, I just need to ask you a few questions. Alright?" Anthony remained silent as he continued staring at him.

"How old are you, Anthony?"

"...five." He finally spoke; his tone very soft, almost inaudible.

"When's your birthday?"

"May."

"Almost six years old, huh?" Anthony slowly nodded his head in response.

"What's your favorite color?"

"...um...red." Anthony was still slumped against his chair, his eyes now wandering all around the courthouse; staring at all the random people around him...trying to focus only on his parents.