Defend

Gerard had more questions asked than anyone else that took the witness stand. Most of them were surprisingly simple and easy to answer, and he had answered every single one with full and detailed explanations...then out of nowhere, Judge Lockhart began to ask more hard and serious questions.

"Mr. Way, you claimed that you ran away with Frank Iero; a man you didn't know anything about and is older than you by four years--you being seventeen at the time, and Mr. Iero being twenty-one. You ran away with him because, and as you put it, you two were in love."

"Yes, your honor. That's correct."

"And during the five long years you were missing, you had no intentions of contacting your family in any way?"

"They wouldn't understand my relationship with Frank. My parents were always very protective of me and Mikey...we weren't even allowed to hang out with people a year older than us. I didn't tell them about Frank because they wouldn't approve of him."

"Parents are supposed to be protective, Mr. Way--you're a father to two small children. Wouldn't you be the same?" Gerard didn't know what happened to him; something inside of him just snapped--like a crack on glass just before it shattered into a million pieces.

"My children are perfectly fine. I'd never tell them they couldn't be friends with certain people, I want them to live their own lives as they grow up."

"I see." Judge Lockhart then removed his glasses, rubbing his eyes as he sighed out softly--his face turning red as he tried to calm himself down. He then took a deep breath before putting his glasses back on and hand motioned for Gerard to continue.

"I know what you're thinking, your honor. You think I'm making all of this up; that everything I'm saying is a lie."

"Gerard, whether you and Mr. Iero were in love or not doesn't effect me. Not in the slightest. However, you disappeared without a trace--not even so much as any form of contact with your family. You decided to just run away from your home? To be with him?" Judge Lockhart asked Gerard as he pointed his finger over at Frank, who was now biting down his bottom lip; biting off some skin and tasting blood on his tongue.

"A man you hardly knew? Simply because you two were in love?"

"Yes, your honor."

"Well, I'll say this. I think what you did is incredibly selfish. From what your younger brother told me--you had a good life; loving parents, a scholarship to an expensive and fancy art school, and almost graduated high school. And instead, you threw away your future to be with Mr. Iero, because you were in love." Gerard frowned as he remained silent.

"Like I said your honor, my parents wouldn't understand. I wanted to be with Frank."

"Even so, for a seventeen year old, that is vey selfish for you to do. You were missing and you put your family through hell...what if one of your children had ran away from home and didn't bother contacting you?"

"You will leave my children out of this. You wanted to ask me questions, remember?" Gerard snapped at Judge Lockhart, making him raise an eyebrow in surprise and was not particularly fond of Gerard's tone or attitude.

"You expect me to believe that you ran away from your family just to be with Mr. Iero--not have any contact with your family for five years?"

"Believe me or not your honor, it's the truth. You can go ahead and call me selfish--but love is a selfish thing. It makes you do stupid things...you were young once. So, don't you dare look down at me and judge me. And don't bring my children into this conversation." Gerard spoke to Judge Lockhart with a firm, serious, and angry tone while glaring at him with his enormous green eyes.