Chapter 17.5: Puzzle

Geurim, my pretty moon

I'll cherish you always.

Na Jaemin was only in his first year at Haewoon Middle School when he first saw Woo Geurim.

It was actually the first day of school and he was dropped off by his parents at the front gate. They gave him words of encouragement and told him to have fun with his friends, as well as learn a lot in class. Jaemin smiled brightly, that precious dazzling smile that always put his parents at ease upon seeing it.

Just as the family were about to part, a cry was heard in the distance. Not too far from the Na family, was another that also dropped their child off for the first day of school. It was a girl, with long, brunette hair, clinging onto her father's arm, not wanting to let go.

"Sweetheart, it's okay. You'll adapt and you'll feel better about it," the man told his daughter, while patting her head affectionately. "You need to learn so you can grow and become a wonderful woman like your mother!"

The woman gave a hearty laugh, Jaemin assumed she must be the mom. "Geurim, it's only a portion of the day, you're such a strong girl, okay? Do well. School is about to start, you need to go in."

"Can't you come in with me?" The young girl whimpered out, her grasp on her father didn't loosen.

"We're sorry, sweetie, you know we have work to go to," her father replied with a saddened tone. "We'll all meet up at home and we'll have a delicious dinner together. But you gotta promise us you'll try hard for today, okay?"

Geurim reluctantly pulled away, her whole face stained with tears, but she nodded. "O-Okay."

"I hope you make some friends this year, Geurim. I'm sure there's a lot of lovely people to talk to in your class." Her mother gave a kiss on top of her head, and wiped at her dampened cheeks with her thumb. "You'll be spectacular, my moon."

Geurim nodded again.

Jaemin couldn't seem to tear his eyes away from her. To see someone not excited for school really disheartened him. He would want to try to talk to her, give her a helping hand.

"Jaeminnie!" A few of his friends from primary school scurried up to him, all of which were brimmed with excitement and joy. The bunch of boys greeted each other with enthusiasm, quoting with hope that they would be in the same class. And in that moment, Jaemin didn't mean to forget about the crying girl in the distance. He got swept up in the moment from good friends he hadn't seen in a while. Without thinking much to it, he rushed into the school with his buddies, his laughter loud and obvious of happiness.

He was enthusiastic to getting into middle school at that time, spend more happy times with old friends and new friends. Middle school was something that told him he grew up, he was ever growing, and he has much more to learn. He was excited for it all.

And momentarily, the crying girl was pushed back into the back of his mind.

.

The second time Na Jaemin took notice of Woo Geurim was already near the end of their first year.

The first years had a small field trip to Namsan Tower, a celebratory thing meant to congratulate the children for their job well done for their first year at school. It was meant to be a fun, wholesome time, but it wasn't for one.