Meerkat

Sunny walked down the long alleyway behind the main area of Possibility. It was a secret shortcut her mother had told her about to get to the part of the Marketplace that sold food. Sunny knew Thorn thought that would be a good thing to know for her vacation to Possibility, but Thorn has forgotten a minor detail: Sunny had never been to Possibility, and so the back alleyway was the only route she knew to the market.

Sunny was still deep in her thinking when a dragon suddenly tackled her. It was clearly a Sandwing, but it's face was covered by a Seawing mask. Sunny screamed, and the dragon quickly shoved her face into the sand, but Sunny's effort had been enough. A pale yellow head popped around the corner of the alley and started when it saw Sunny being attacked.

"Stop! You are under arrest, by order of the Enclave!" The new dragon roared. He surged forwards and knocked away Sunny's attacker before the dragon could even spread it's wings to escape. Sunny leapt up the second the crushing weight was lifted from her, and flapped up to the top of the nearest building. She cleaned the sand off her face, while watching the two dragons suspiciously in case whichever won the fight went back to attack her.

Soon enough, the dragon who had rescued her had knocked out the attacker. Then, he made a series of odd, high pitched sounds that made Sunny want to cover her ears. Quickly, a few more dragons appeared around the corner. Sunny shrank back, shimmying under a small overhang where she couldn't be seen. She did not yet know if this "Enclave" was on her side or not. She supposed talking would clear some things up, but Thorn had told her not to risk anything when badly outnumbered. She leaned forward and pricked her ears as the dragon began calling orders.

"Sandstorm, Venom. Lock up this dragon, under charges of attacking Princess Sunny. Desert, inform the rest of the Enclave, and Queen Thorn that the Princess is here, and has been attacked. I'll stay here to locate Princess Sunny." He said, pointing at each dragon with his tail as he said their names. Venom sat by the attacker's head, and carefully removed the Seawing mask, while Sandstorm walked up to the dragon who had been giving orders.

"Permission to go get something to restrain the prisoner Chief Meerkat?"

"Permission granted. But, Sandstorm, you don't need to ask permission. And just call me Meerkat. I'm not ranked that much higher than you." Meerkat replied, covering his face with his talons with an exasperated sigh.

Meerkat. So that's his name. He doesn't seem like he would attack me. I'll wait a minute, until he's alone. I can outfly one dragon. Right? Sunny thought. And he is taking away the dragon who attacked me... hmm

The last of Meerkat's companions exited the alley, and Meerkat immediately flew up to Sunny's hiding space.

"You can come out now Princess Sunny." He said. Sunny sheepishly crawled out from under the overhang and faced him. Meerkat was stunningly handsome up close, Sunny noticed, then immediately shook herself. Why would I be thinking about something like that? She wondered with disgust.

"H- how did you know who I was?" She stammered nervously, hoping he wouldn't say "because Queen Thorn told me to follow you secretly since you told her you didn't want a guard." or something like that. It would be frustrating to have her mother suddenly turn into Deathbringer 2.0 and order a secret personal guard follow her everywhere.

"Oh, well ummm..." Meerkat trailed off, gesturing at her barbless tail and golden scales "You don't exactly blend in with the crowd." he explained, clearly trying not to say something that she might take the wrong way. Sunny looked down to where he was pointing.

"Oh. Ok then. Thanks for saving me!" Sunny chirped, her usual cheerful attitude back. Meerkat grinned at her sudden mood swing. Then he looked around, and with a clear effort, managed to plaster on his serious business face again.

"So... do you mind if I walk you home? I mean, you've already been attacked once today, I wouldn't want it to happen again..." Meerkat asked awkwardly, but in a way that made Sunny think he would follow her home whatever her answer was.

"Sure, that's ok." Sunny replied honestly. This way I can see him for longer before he has to go... Sunny put a talon to her head. I umm I mean this way I can interrogate him about what the Enclave is. Yeah... that's why I want him to come with me...

Sunny was snapped out of her thoughts by what sounded like a bird call, but was actually Meerkat, beckoning her with his tail.