Oh Nightingale

"Are you-" Nightseeker started, turning to his sister.

"Yes! I'm sure this is a good idea. She likes you too, I swear. Now what I'm not sure about is if your cheesy pickup lines are a good idea, but that's your call, not mine."

"But what if..... oh I'm just so nervous." Nightseeker mumbled.

"Just DO IT already, or I'll tell her for you!" Truthreader threatened. She was getting impatient. Very very impatient. Nightseeker pouted and glared at her, but begrudgingly spread his wings and flew off to go see Ash.

...

Ash lifted her head off her desk at the sound of a dragon knocking on the door. It had been a long, boring day where most of her clients had been dragons who misplaced a favourite bracelet or something dumb like that. There was a vandalism case, but Truthreader had called dibs. She still wasn't back. Hmm.  That's gotta be Nightseeker. Ash hadn't heard wingbeats, and Nightseeker was the only one who tried to make sure his approach didn't remind her of her wing condition. Wingbeats didn't really affect her that much anymore, but it was the thought that counted. That was one of her favourite things  about the nerdy NightWing. His sweet and thoughtful approach to situations. If she could ever convince him to join their agency, he would definitely be good cop in any interrogations. It would be a crime against dragonkind to make him be bad cop. But the two of them interviewing a suspect would be so cute. Mostly the part where Nightseeker would do that adorable confused forehead scrunch when he was trying to remember the questions.

Ash was so caught up in her detective duo fantasy that it took a few moments for her to realise that Nightseeker has come inside. He looked nervous. It was the cutest thing she had seen all day.

"I- Uhh... I have a case for you."

Ash sighed internally, reaching for the question cards that Truthreader had insisted upon making after Ash had come in tired and gotten all the questions wrong. Of course her crush would only come to see her for a case. And of course Truthreader had mixed up the cards again. Oh well, maybe she wanted to try a new order. "Go on." She said grumpily. Ash was too busy mentally yelling at Truthreader to process what Nightseeker said next before replying.

"Someone's stolen my heart."

"K, any suspects?"

"Yeah.... You." Nightseeker said flirtatiously, leaning on her desk. Wait. Holdup. What did he just say?!?!? Does that mean....?

"Wai- wha- Uhh... I- Me- R-really??" Ash squeaked. He likes me back. Brain overload. He likes me back. *OMM, OMM, OMM. What. Oh my moons is he flirting with me this is the cutest thing EVER. Holy shit I'm gonna die of Nightseeker adorableness before I even get to tell Truthreader.

"Yes. Ash, I love you. Ever since the day I met you, I haven't been able to get you out of my head. You are beautiful and strong against all odds and can solve any problem that comes at you in the most clever ways possible. You are the smartest dragon I've ever met. Not in the way that I am, which takes studying and practice, but in the amazing way where you can find the solution to any problem and figure out something in five minutes that would take a lesser dragon years. I could go on forever and never finish my list of reasons why you are the most amazing dragon in my life... Ash, would you do me the honour of becoming my girlfriend?"

"I.... Uhh.... My moons you are so adorable that my brain is malfunctioning. Ummm... Hell yes? Moons, I love you. You're the best."

At this, Nightseeker, who had been nervously staring at his talons, looked up. "So... then is it ok if I kiss you?" Ash nodded frantically.

"Always. Well, except in front of my parents, I still haven't told them that I even found the Rainforest tunnel, much less about you and-" Ash was cut off by lips pressed against hers, and Nightseeker's wing wrapped around her back. He had half jumped over her desk to get closer. Ash closed her eyes and kissed back. Suddenly a drop of something cold and wet hit her nose. She pulled back. "Wha- Oh. Nightseeker what's wrong?" Nightseeker was crying.

"I... I'm going to Jade Mountain next week. With Truthreader. We won't be able to see each other for-"

"For two days. I'm going too. I'm just going in five days instead of seven. My brother got us all enrolled." Nightseeker's face lit up, but he was still crying.

"R-really?"

"Yeah." Ash got off her seat and went over to sit on the ground with her boyfriend, who was still crying. From being emotionally drained she guessed. Suddenly Ash remembered a lullaby she had read about in a scroll about Nightwings.

"🎶Hush now my Nightingale, no need to cry,
I'll make sure that it all turns out alright🎶"

Nightseeker stared at her in surprise. "H-how do you know that song?" Ash only grinned and continued singing.

"🎶Silence my Nightingale, perch in your tree.
I can teach you how to be free.🎶"

Ash snuggled into the crook of Nightseeker's wing and hugged his neck. He wrapped his other wing around her. She stroked up and down his spine until he stopped crying.

"🎶Sleep now dear Nightingale, please do not cry, in the morning we will learn how to fly🎶"

"🎶Rest here My Nightingale, dream a sweet dream.
Don't feel your fear, I'll make it all clear🎶"

"🎶Oh Nightingale, Oh Nightingale. Please do not cry, we can have another try.
Never fear,  for tomorrow, you learn how to fly🎶"
___________________________
* OMM stands for Oh my moons
A/N
My email address changed a few years ago and I don't remember my password for this account. I think I might get locked out of this account soon. If I do, and if I feel motivated to work on this story, I'll repost it under a similar name (I was thinking of using the same name with "revised version" tacked onto the end). The story will be the same, but I'll rewrite some parts that seem out of character and I'll cut out all the children of the Jade winglet because they weren't actually part of the plot to begin with, and the story is a bit unwieldy with so many characters. There's a chance I might not get locked out of my account, but I wanted to warn you guys now in case it happened. Even if I manage to recover my password I might still rewrite this story because, well I'm 47 chapters in and still haven't gotten all the characters into one place, so there's clearly a bit of a problem. If you guys have any suggestions on how to change my password without knowing the current password or having access to the email I signed up with, please tell me. It would be much more convenient to not have to rewrite this story on a new account. I hope you like this chapter, I'm not particularly confident about how Nightseeker and Ash got together. I hope it didn't feel too rushed.